Gel like substance on top of my loaves

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I have this gel like substance on top of my loaves (I don't get it all the time).

When you touch it, it somewhat liquefies. I encounter it during un-molding of the loaf.

I think it may be one of the following:
  • Glycerin river
  • Excess Fragrance (although the gel is unscented)
  • Excess rubbing alcohol since I mist the tops at pour
What do you think it could be? This is a basic recipe that was scented at 5%.

You could see it on the sides in the picture.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E273-DqUfW1z8Ef3ykedxYzQOiAHLplC

More info, please. Recipe? Method of making the soap? What kind of scent? Any other unusual behaviors?

More info, please. Recipe? Method of making the soap? What kind of scent? Any other unusual behaviors?

Coconut Oil 30%
Olive Oil 20%
Palm Oil 30%
Shea Butter 5%
Sweet Almond Oil 5%
Castor Oil 10%

Full Water/ Cold Process / No other unusual behaviors

Cinnamon Apple Fragrance Scented at 2% which is the IFRA Max for this fragrance.

I agree with DeeAnna more info is needed. However you’ve had some overheating for sure.

You make me think I need to start insulating less. I use wooden molds wrapped in towels, but the good thing is I never get partial gel (which is why I insanely insulate)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say overheating and beginning of volcano hence the beginning to crack. Less water and insulation. Cinnamon FO will tend to overheat. Maybe try a 33% Lye Concentration then insulate with this type of Fragrance. Higher water the hotter the gel.

My question is the inside set or do you have separation or cavities inside with leaking oil? This can happen with severe overheating. This batch looks like you uncovered it on time to stop the gelling before it much to hot from the looks of the top.

I would say overheating and beginning of volcano hence the beginning to crack. Less water and insulation. Cinnamon FO will tend to overheat. Maybe try a 33% Lye Concentration then insulate with this type of Fragrance. Higher water the hotter the gel.

My question is the inside set or do you have separation or cavities inside with leaking oil? This can happen with severe overheating. This batch looks like you uncovered it on time to stop the gelling before it much to hot from the looks of the top.

I didn't open this one up yet, but typically the inside is fine when I cut them. This batch was unmolded after about 24 hours.

I have this gel like substance on top of my loaves (I don't get it all the time).

When you touch it, it somewhat liquefies. I encounter it during un-molding of the loaf.

• Glycerin river

I had the same problem and my recipe was almost the same as yours, minus the shea.

• Glycerin river

I had a similar issue with one of my earliest batches. Mine was entirely due to overheating (full water, soaped around 120, had a small amount of cinnamon EO, insulated and set on heating pad). I also had glycerine rivers throughout so I'm curious to see what your cut will look like.

If I were you (and I was haha) to avoid this in the future I would go 33% lye, soap closer to 90, and ditch some of the insulation. That's what I do now and I've yet to get a partial gel this way.

Latest posts

Back