Fragrance usage question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently, somebody very sweet gave me this lip balm making kit: https://www.amazon.com/Grow-Make-DI...uxe+lip+balm+making+kit&qid=1571165768&sr=8-3

This kit came with asian pear flavor, mango peach flavor, pineapple flavor, creme de menthe flavor, strawberry flavor, green apple flavor, cherry berry flavor, french vanilla flavor.

Now, I don’t like to put flavors in my lip balm other than some real essential oils and I don’t think these “flavors” are essential oils and I am wondering if I can use them in my cold process soap. Can anybody give me advice? I am attaching a photo of the kit ingredients. (These “flavors” are listed as “flavor essential oils” but I doubt that they are essential oils. I called the company that makes this kit to ask what they really are and left a message but they haven’t called me back.)

Thank you so very much for any input you can give me!!

Attachments

• IMG_3890.JPG
    IMG_3890.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 8
You can experiment. I would assume they are safe, but that doesn't mean they will work in soap. Soap fragrances are formulated to withstand the lye monster. They might work in lotion, though.

You know, Christmas is coming. You could make a bunch of flavored lip balm to give as gifts.

Many flavor oils are just lip safe fragrances from what I've gleaned in my reading. If they will work is another question. You could try a small batch. It may or may not stick in the high PH. I sell a ton of flavored lip balms so I have about 30 different oils.

@dixiedragon and @shunt2011, thank you very much for your advice! So I gather that the flavor oils are safe to use in CP soap but the scent may not stick. I will experiment with small batches and see what will happen, and I will make some lip balms with them, too as gifts. I guess that I don't like the flavor oils in my lip balm doesn't mean that other people doesn't like it either :)

I made a small batch with the mango peach flavor oil yesterday and I just unmolded the soap this morning. The scent seems to have stayed unchanged so far. I don't know if the flavor oil has altered the quality of the soap in terms of the properties such as lather, hardness but I will report back once it's cured and I will try more batches with other flavor oils, too.

Back