Fragrance Oil Storage--Plastic?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyB

Reaction score
I just received my fragrance oils and they shipped in plastic bottles. That's fine since it saves considerably on shipping.

But I read this blog by Soap Queen https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/undiluted-fragrance-oils-molds/ that warns of the dangers of "undiluted fragrance oil" and plastic.

I know I won't be using these fragrances in the next few weeks or eve months, so should I transfer them to glass? I hate to do that because of oil loss, but if it is best, then that's what I'll do.

Your thoughts and experiences?

Cathy

I definitely have had FO get a weird chemical smell from storage in plastic bottles.
I have transferred some to glass bottles. If I had more glass, I would transfer more.
The small amount lost during transfer is nothing compared to a 16 oz bottle going bad.

I've always moved my EO and FO that comes in plastic into glass, not because of any bad experience but just to err on the safe side. I do the same for oils that come in aluminum bottles because I hate fiddling with the plastic plugs with the pull rings.

I have FOs from 3 companies and find that the ones in the plastic bottles do smell weird, but maybe it's just a coincidence. But, since they smelled that way upon arrival, I don't know if my transferring them over would help, as they were likely produced/stored that way for a while. I guess it could forestall eating through plastic...

Ugh I have so many FO’s from NG and they all shipped in plastic bottles. I’ll have to make a trip to the dollar store or somewhere to find some glass ones to transfer into.

Ugh I have so many FO’s from NG and they all shipped in plastic bottles. I’ll have to make a trip to the dollar store or somewhere to find some glass ones to transfer into.
I’ve not had a problem with long term storage in NGs bottles. I do open them periodically to let some air out. Haven’t noticed that it affects the scent in the soap at all.

First of all, you really need to take the article with a grain of salt. Consider that it comes from a company that sells their FOs/EOs in dark glass bottles, so of course they are going to say that their way is the best way (and thereby increase their sales). Second, for all the talk of plastic bottles being bad, there is not a single example thereof. They showed two little plastic condiment cups and some odd looking plastic mold. And it should be noted, that their 'extracts', which are often just as strong as any FO or EO, come in clear plastic bottles.

With the above said, I've have a bunch of FOs that are well over a year old that are just fine. All but one are in hard plastic bottles, one is in a 'squeezable' bottle. I just opened two the other day and didn't notice any change in the fragrance from when I first bought them. It should be noted that I don't store my FOs/EOs in the open, they are either in a drawer or a cupboard. Light does more damage that anything else.

Thanks, that's good to know. I would think the light would be worse on glass bottles!

Light on any kind of bottle is bad, so is heat. I'm of an age where just about everything was packaged in glass...milk, juice, condiments, extracts, medicines, but most everything has gotten switched over to plastic it is lighter and cheaper to produce. Still...extracts and medicines are packaged in brown bottles.

If the supplier offered a choice, I always chose "glass" until I had enough recycled amber brown Boston round bottles of various sizes to transfer to when a shipment of plastic containers arrived. i do believe long-term storage is better in glass than plastic. I have a shelf and a cabinet in the Laundry room for fragrances.

EO FO Shelf.JPG

EO FO Cab.JPG

They used to be stuffed full but I've been whittling down trying to use up ingredients I have on hand. I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to use them all up. :rolleyes:

ETA: The 16 oz. plastic bottles are Polysorbates and Liquid Crothix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back