Forms of coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirvil

Reaction score
I am wondering if any of you have opinions on the merits/properties of the various forms of coconut oil in soap making? I have fractionated coconut oil, 76 degree coconut oil, and regular coconut oil. Does it make any difference which one I use in terms on the qualities of the soap?

Most coconut oil you purchase in the store is likely 76 which melts at 76 degrees. There is also a 92 degree one that works as well but most are 76. Fractionated is a totally different oil. I've never used it in soap but do use it in whipped butters, solid perfumes and balms. It's a drier oil and only has the medium chain triglycerides.

I have never used the 92 degree in soap, but have heard others say they cannot tell the difference between in the 92, and the "regular", which is 76. They both have the same SAP value.

Yep, as Shari said, fractionated coconut is a whole 'nother thing. It is technically an "oil free" oil! If you want to try it in soap, make sure you use the right figures because that one does have a different SAP value.

Back