Forgotten superfat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
A little background for you guys...

I HP much much more than CP and my superfat is always set to be added after the cook.

I've never forgotten until today :(

As in I didn't even go measure it. It's just there still sitting in my checklist waiting for my pen.

I always add coconut milk powder to my soaps, diluted in water reserved from the calculated amount and that is added hot after the cook. I also add yogurt, about a tablespoon per pound.

My recipe numbers look like this.
_20190213_230637.JPG
Does the calculation for lye include this superfat if it's marked to be added after the cook?

I read somewhere when I was new that the numbers don't take the superfat into account so I'm hoping this soap won't be overly drying, with the small addition of coconut and yogurt, and the 1-2 grams of some oils I always seem to over pour lol.

I tested some crumbs off my pot.. I can't tell if it zapped lol and my hands don't feel dry. But this soap was meant to be a face n body bar so I'm not so sure now **sigh**

Please tell me not to worry lol
I searched and did not find anything that answers this; all my hopes above are based on memory, reading different threads on here.

Or if I need to rebatch this, so be it.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I would not rebatch it, SAP values are averages and you will usually end up with some superfat anyway, although it does not mean it is guaranteed depending on your oils. But you have fat in the Coconut milk and Yogurt. I would just age the bar longer than you normally do, unless you long age your soap. I personally age any soap I make for facial bars around 6 months.

How much didn't you add? Did you include that amount in your recipe in the calculator?

There are 2 uses of the word "superfat" here. On the recipe calculator, superfat is how much oil you have above what the lye will saponify/consume. 5% superfat is "standard". It's not too much (too much extra oil will interfere with lather, might make soap feel oily, might encourage rancidity/DOS. To little and the soap will feel a bit drying.

Then there is superfat in HP terms, which is the oil added after the cook. Most HPers (I think), use 5% here. So they set their superfat in the calculator at 5%, then they have a special oil (such as avocado or sweet almond) at 5% in the recipe. They will add that oil after the cook. If that's what you do, you have a 0% superfat (technically a bit more, since lye isn't 100% pure). So you SHOULD be okay. If you want, you can rebatch and add that oil, or you could shred the soap and make a batch with a slightly higher superfat (maybe 7% or 10%) and mix the two. Or you can just let it age and see if you like it. It's a bit harsh, use it for kitchen soap.

ETA: IF you find it harsh, use it for kitchen soap.

Last edited:
You may have a soap that is very cleansing, but as long as you don't have a zap, it should be OK to use.

I would just age the bar longer than you normally do, unless you long age your soap. I personally age any soap I make for facial bars around 6 months.
My first round of soaps started being used around 1-2mos give or take but I have some batches that are untouched for about 4 and counting. I'll hide these after I cut and age them well, thank you :)

@dixiedragon, the recipe is attached. I've been using soapmaking friend and I assumed that if I clicked the "superfat after the cook" option, that the amount it will give me is not counted when calculating the lye and water. I then just measure out one or several oils (sometimes other than those listed in the recipe) while the batter is cooking. It's what I've been doing for months now. It's only now that I've forgotten to add it am I realizing I could be doing it wrong all along! O_O
_20190214_010813.JPG _20190214_005642.JPG
You may have a soap that is very cleansing, but as long as you don't have a zap, it should be OK to use.
I will check the zap again tomorrow. I didn’t mind upping the cleansing to 14% coz I had also put 6% as the superfat. If it doesn't improve with a long cure I'll use it in the kitchen lol. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back