Foaming shower bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax1962

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with these? I've played around and got good results but then I read that the well known brand ones are made using sodium alginate and potato starch for a really silky foam. Off I goes to buy both of these products and play some more BUT when I add the potato starch the bomb just remains soft, even at only about 2% - I was wondering if anyone could point me towards fixing this please?
Ingredients are:
60g Bicarbonate of soda
30g Citric Acid
20g Cocoa butter
14g Sugar
7g SCI
7g SLSa
5g Shea butter
3g Poly 80
3g EWax
3g Potato starch
3g Kaolin Clay
2g Fragrance oil
1g Colloidal Oatmeal

Thank you :)

I use powdered milks to get foaming. Best foam I get is from powdered buttermilk.
The foaming part is fine, although i DO like the idea of milk powder instead of the surfactants (yet another play date!! :D ) the problem I have is they don't harden up at all if I add the potato starch - I'm sure it's reacting with something like the ewax or the cocoa butter??

There's a recipe in the files of the MoonCake Cult group on Facebook. It is a little different from yours and doesn't use potato starch. It has corn starch and a bit of cream of tartar. For full disclosure, I haven't tried making these yet but the group's reaction has been favourable.

Back