First Salt Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about the lather yet. They're still too young. I'm gonna test one on Sunday after it's had a week to cure. I usually test at one week, three weeks, and six weeks to see how they're progressing. I give all my soaps a minimum of six weeks curing time before I package them. Keeping my fingers crossed that it lathers well and isn't too scratchy from using the coarse grain salt. I'll post an update on Sunday.

Don't know about the lather yet. They're still too young. I'm gonna test one on Sunday after it's had a week to cure. I usually test at one week, three weeks, and six weeks to see how they're progressing. I give all my soaps a minimum of six weeks curing time before I package them. Keeping my fingers crossed that it lathers well and isn't too scratchy from using the coarse grain salt. I'll post an update on Sunday.
I highly recommend you wet the bar well and rub with your hands first to help smooth it out. Salt can be very abrasive, I learned that several years ago when I first started making salt bars.

I have only made one batch of salt bars, but I could only find a coarse sea salt to buy. I put about 1/3 of the total amount of salt at the time in the blender and let it run for about 2 minutes. It came out finer than table salt, so maybe run less time.

Those turned out beautiful. I love salt bars and use them all the time. I'm running low on my stock and really need to make more. I use a slab mold with dividers or individual silicone molds. Unfortunately I get quite a bit of ash with individual molds and have to give them a quick wash or steam them. I buy my sea salt at either Walmat or my local grocery store.

@Obsidian - I used the gourmet sea salt for the label appeal. Duly noted about the fine grain salt. I didn't even think about the fact that it would be too scratchy of worse. I'll try the fine grind next time. I guess I'll use these ones for my dad, my brothers, and I. We all have skin as tough as rhino hide, lol!

Lookin to make a batch of salt bars with the black hawiiann salt, did the salt make your bars scratchy?

:wave::wave:

How did it go?

Latest posts

Back