First of many questions! Essential oils/ FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
I've been away from soapmaking for many years, but did save my essential oils and fragrance oils. Now I am wondering if they are still good. A soapmaking friend said she had 10 year old peppermint and had used it and it was fine, so I felt safe about that one. I've opened and smelled several of the other essential oils and they smell fine, though I'm not sure they smell as strong as they did before. One fragrance oil smells gnarly, so I am tossing it. Should I toss all the FOs? And will my EOs be OK to use? I don't want to find, down the road, that they are not good and have my soaps turn rancid or something.

I've emailed manufacturers and gotten no answer. Also, one FO was quite pricey, from Lebermuth, and I really hesitate to toss it. It smells OK, but like I said, I am worried about the longer run.

Also, what is the most environmentally responsible way to dispose of FOs?

Thanks for any help!

Which EOs are you asking about? How have you stored your EOs? Is there any crystals or gummy residue around the caps?
Since EOs aren't "true" oils (like say, Almond) I don't believe they could cause rancidity in soap if you used them. They will however lose their potency. Some folks think "aged" Patchouli and some gummy resin-type EOs, like Balsam Peru, Benzoin, etc get better over time...but that's only if properly stored in dark glass bottles in a cool dark place. I have had a few EOs that didn't see much use and lasted a few years with no problem.
As for FOs, I think most are in Propylene Glycol or some type of Mineral Oil bases...I think the smell is a good indicator whether you use it or not.
Here's a great article discussing your exact questions on aromaweb.com:
http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/essent ... sposal.asp

Thanks so much for your insight and for sharing your knowledge! I have so many EOs stored, it is shameful! But they have been stored properly- cool, dark, capped tightly. For starts I would be using lavender, patchouli, and maybe sweet orange- but from what I was reading from your link, the SwO may not have survived. The only thing I have seen around the caps of the ones I have opened has been gumminess on the patchouli.

Thanks also for the link which reminded me about the MSDS as a resource. One other question on that- is there a way to get one one a product from a company which appears to now be closed?

Latest posts

Back