First liquid soap attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it possible that the purity level of the lye is an issue here - even with a 3% sf? The soap maybe more superfatted than expected.

I suppose that's possible. It's Crafter's Choice KOH from WSP, which I think is 89-90% (it's not on the bottle, I had to look up the MSDS), which is what I accounted for in the soaping calculator. Is it actually less than that?

ETA: Mm, looks like I may have misread, it's 86.5%, so this is not just possible, but also likely. I'll have to have another go with the Soapee calculator where I can adjust for that and also an non-EV olive oil.

Last edited:
I was going to say to fix your KOH situation first, as that may cure the cloudiness, but there is only 7 g difference in what you put and what you need.

My recipe was 80% Olive Oil (400 grams), 20% Coconut oil (100 grams), Glycerin (er, 214 grams, it replaced 2 parts of my water added straight to the oils) and KOH (107 grams I think) and water (107 grams, I think) with the KOH diluted into the water and added while still hot to the oil.

How many ounces of finished liquid soap would you estimate this formulation will make? I'm trying to scale a test batch.

My guess... I think you got about 32 ounces/900 gr finished paste. At a dilution rate of 1 part paste: 0.75 parts water that would make 56 ounces/ 1,575 gr.

If you run that through Soapee.com, you will see that the batch weight is 953.4 g. Once you dilute that with 0.75 parts water, you end up with about 59 oz. This is a good sized batch for a first timer. Not too small to have trouble stick blending, not too large to end up with way too much paste.

Don't forget that you can store undiluted paste in Ziploc bags.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back