First Big Liquid Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
With my laundry recipe going into final testing and the kettle recently finished, it was time for a small test. Into the 60 gallon kettle went 50 pounds of soy, 9.5 pounds KOH, 1 pound potassium carbonate and 30 pounds water. I plumbed it to an old hot water heater which got it up to 150*F after about an hour. I cooked it all day and got it up to ~190*F. After letting it sit covered overnight, it was still warm the next day. Despite this, it still needed to be cooked all day today as well. When I turned the kettle off at the end of the day today it was *almost* done so I left it to sit overnight again.

Tomorrow I'll figure out how to transfer the 90 pounds of paste into my mixing tank, which only has a 3 inch opening :cry: I'm not sure how I'm going to get the paste through such a small hole but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Then it will be mixed with ~40 gallons of water and a dash of Borax :D

Hopefully all will go well... and then the next batch will be about 100 pounds, and then 200 8)
All I'll need then is a decent price on 1 gallon bottles, potassium carbonate and someone to buy it :? :D

Back