First "big" Christmas show of 2013.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My reference to "big" means it's a 2-day show. This was a new one, so there's always the worry of "unknowns," but was well-planned and staff extremely helpful. Was in Kapuskasing ON in the French Cultural Centre. Needed a translator a few times, otherwise, my wee bit of French Canadian sufficed. Was slightly disappointed there was non-handcrafted allowed, but only three tables. My only irritant was the kid behind me selling melt & pour & rebatched store bought soap as "from scratch" soap. His parents were shilling for him. I asked him if he made cold process soap & he couldn't answer. Looked at his mother who said "I know what that is." I asked if his soap was melt & pour. No answer. His mother said "Yes and we buy rebatched." He was selling 1-2 oz bars for $6.50! My bars are 6-7.5 oz and I sell for $6.00! His parents were shilling for him while he played on an ipad. I never said a word & worked my booth from the front encouraging people to sample my body products and smell my soaps that I make the old-fashioned way. I did extremely well. Took me 4hrs to set-up my tables because it was new and I had to think about it as I set-up. :-D Another big show in Timmins, a friend's 1-day show in Cochrane and back to Kapuskasing for another big show. No more one-day shows (except my friend's). It's too much to set-up and tear-down in one day. Here are pics of my set-up.

Psst...no photos. On the upside, congrats! I've been checking out the craft shows and such for my area in 2014. I am going to have to start out small, I think.

I laughed at CaraCara's first sentence because I thought "Where are the pictures?"

Congratulations on the show! It sounds like you're going to be busy for awhile. That's sad about the parents doing the selling for the kid. JMO, but it sounds like the mother was doing all the soapmaking and using the kid to make it appear it was his business. But I could be wrong.

Here are pics.

1384824681784.jpg

1384824707776.jpg

1384824780546.jpg

Wow! Those are some super-sized soaps! I'd stay at your booth. It all looks lovely.

Latest posts

Back