First batch cookin' EDIT: PICTURES

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Scales arrived today and this evening I took over the kitchen to make as many mistakes as possible while making soap. My lovely assistant (wife) gave me moral support and helped line the mold while I was weighing everything. Once it was all put together I stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred. After all of that I found out what happens when the stick stirrer is raised too high in the pan. :shock: While I was cleaning the counter, dishwasher front, floor, dog, cat, etc. :( , my lovely assistant stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred until cleanup was finished and we passed stick without missing a beat. What professionals! :roll: Just before wearing a hole in the bottom of the stainless pan we were using trace finally appeared. Poured and put in the oven according to the instructions in the tutorial and now we wait. It's got to get better but what fun. :D

Hope these pics aren't too big.

Afterwards our conversation was "oh, didn't do this, didn't do that, shoulda done this, forgot to do that" and on and on. Learned so much by making this first ugly batch.

Looks like cake.
IMG_0682.jpg

Just screams NEWBIE!
IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

The long wait to trace was bad enough, I probably would have freaked if it reacted so quickly with added fo. So much to learn. I've been reading like crazy for the last week. The more I read the less I realize I know. This is challenging. I think I like it. :D Have not joined SRB, but will. Thanks.

One thing I've already learned is that I don't have as much patience as I thought. Here it is 3am and I'm peeking through the oven window and want to open that door so badly and touch the soap. Five more hours. :(

"Hot azz fish grease." I like that. :lol:

I remember my first batch............supposed to put to be and leave 18 hrs........well I swear I peeked about 18 times an hour :0) Dont forget to post pics we love soap and especially first soaps they are exciting :0)

cwarren said:
I agree with pixybratt - how you are hooked :)

(sigh) Probably true. I've been watching tutorials and reading. Going to Lowes to buy wood to make molds, thinking of what to make next, ways to improve, on and on and on. And I thought soap was simple. WOW, what an eye opener. :shock: Endless possibilities and so much to learn.

I think your first batch looks lovely.
I did not have a stick blender when I did my first batch. Wanted to hand stir the castille batch to make sure I did not miss trace :p . It took about 90 min of stirring, but it was a fantastic batch.

Who said fudge? Now I want some. :lol:

That soap looks lovely and creamy. Good job. :wink: Was it extra virgin olive oil soap by any chance?

Very nice!! Keep a bar from that batch for as long as you can. I still have a bar from my first batch!

It doesn't look ugly at all. It's a pretty light green. I'm sure it will be very nice to use. My first batch I made with unrefined palm oil; it was screaming orange-yellow and had a big crack running down the middle where it overheated. Looked like butcher's wax or a big hunk of cheese. But I was ridiculously proud of it. Didn't separate. Wasn't lye heavy. Decent basic soap. Yours looks much nicer. Congratulations!

congrats on your first soap! my first batch didnt turn out as nicely...my scale wasnt very good and i think my oils were incorrectly weighed...my soap came out super slimey and did not feel good to wash with but that was almost 6 years ago...ive come a long way from that with lots of practice and i still run into a bad batch once and awhile

Latest posts

Back