First attempt very disappointing...need new recipe!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juba

Reaction score
UGH! I am trying not to be too moody and vent! lol
I read and read and read some more...thought about it, read some more.

Chose a recipe, shopped, laid out all of my supplies, lined my molds, carefully weighed each item, melted, mixed, stirred and mixed.

My first batch looks like curdled milk. No trace ever happened after almost burning my hand off with the brand new stick blender.

Well, just now poured the mess into a mold and wrapped it.
I am so disgusted I know I won't even peek at it to see what it is doing!

I really, really want to learn to make soap and if my hormonal swings will ease..I'll give it another whirl in a few hours! lol

Perhaps someone have a 2 pound Beginners Batch I can try?
:lol:

What oils/ingredients did you use, what temps did you pour at? I have great luck with coconut oil, palm oil and olive oil (50, 25, 25).

I followed the instructions form the SMF Tutorials page:

Recipe: (Makes 8 lbs.)

24 oz. olive oil
24 oz. coconut oil
38 oz. vegetable shortening (Crisco)
2 oz. lye
32 oz. distilled water
3 to 4 oz. any essential or fragrance oil

sad to have used so much product for a botched batch.

Ooops..someone needs to check the recipe...you copied it correctly but I think the lye in that amount of oils is way too low...more like 12 oz...no wonder it didn't trace.

I would wait until a moderator or regular stops in. Then maybe they can correct that recipe if it needs it. And they can give you some suggestions on how to fix it.

Yikes! I'll PM Ian to change it asap.

Do you have a crock pot? You can fix it by dumping it in your crock pot and adding the lye that was left out.

Also, I would recommend starting with a smaller recipe so you aren't wasting so many oils if you happen to flub up.

Basic Lard
4 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Coconut Oil
7 oz Lard
1 oz Castor Oil
2.2 oz Lye
6 oz Water

Basic Vegan
5 oz Palm Oil
5 oz Coconut Oil
5 oz Olive Oil
1 oz Castor Oil
2.3 oz Lye
6 oz Water

Castile Soap
16 oz Olive Oil
2.0 oz Lye
6 oz Water
(Castile makes a wonderfully mild soap- just note that it takes a lot longer to firm up and needs more like 6-8 weeks to cure.)

Luxury Vegan
2 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Coconut Oil
1 oz Sweet Almond Oil
1 oz Castor Oil
1 oz Cocoa Butter
7 oz Palm Oil
2.2 oz Lye
6 oz Water
1 oz Fragrance Oil

Garden Soap
5 oz Coconut Oil
8 oz Olive Oil
3 oz Palm Oil
2.3 oz Lye
6 oz Water
1 oz Fragrance Oil
1 Tablespoon Cornmeal

Coffee Scrub Bar
1 oz Castor Oil
1 oz Cocoa Butter
4 oz Coconut Oil
6 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Palm Oil
2.2 oz Lye
6 oz Extra strong brewed coffee (replaces water)
1 oz Coffee Fragrance Oil
1 Tablespoon Coffee Grounds (gives soap a scrubby texture)
(You’re lye mixture will stink to high heaven when you first mix, but it will fade and give your soap a nice coffee brown color.)

Shea Butter Bar
1 oz Castor Oil
3 oz Coconut Oil
4 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Palm Oil
4 oz Shea Butter
2.15 oz Lye
6 oz Water
1 oz Fragrance Oil

Your lye should have been 12.1 oz for the recipe you gave us.

Always check your recipes on http://www.SoapCalc.net to make sure you lye is correct. That's is one of the most important things you can do to make sure a recipe you are copying from a book, or even one on a forum like this, is correct.

Try again, I think you'll be much happier.

Cheers

Juba,

I'm sorry your first batch messed up. I've learned to always double check recipes I've found in a book or online by entering the amounts in a lye calculator. You never know when there might be a typo as you've unfortunately learned. I use soapcalc.net but there are others online.

As agriffing said you can put it in a crock pot and add the extra lye. Good luck on the second time around. :D

I just noticed while I was typing this that Lindy's already answered. :oops:

adding lye...

ok..so If I put the flubbed mixture into the cockpot and add 10.1 oz of lye...
How do I add the lye? if I mix it with water how much?..ugh...this soap making is not for the faint hearted.

soapcalc

I really need to re-watch the tutorial for soapcalc..
and do the checking and rechecking

Thanks to all for your help.
I'll let you know what happens with my flub!

Juba - I think you should toss it. You already have full water in there so to mix the additional lye you would need to add an equal amount of water to it and then pour, which means you are going to have too much water in it and it won't work all that well either....

tossing flubs

ok..so do I flush it, take into the woods and dump it or bag it and take it to the refuse center?

Lindy said:
Juba - I think you should toss it. You already have full water in there so to mix the additional lye you would need to add an equal amount of water to it and then pour, which means you are going to have too much water in it and it won't work all that well either....

This is true...you'll end up with way too much water.

Does Juba have to use the full amount of water for 10 oz lye? Is it possible to use a minimal amount to dissolve it? I hate to see her have to toss this batch.

I wouldnt toss that much oil! you could try and fix it? good recipe, use co, oo, po, castor. I always make 2 lb batches, then I dont fell SO bad if it doesnt work.

So to set the record straight I know nothing, but maybe let oil sit and let water evaporate or put in slow cooker with lid off to try and remove most of water. Like letting the soap cure and dry? Then reuse the oil? Will probably take a long time but if your gonna throw it out may as well give it a shot.

I feel cranky and sad for you.
You'll get it next though.

With the lye you have to mix minimum 1:1 so that does mean 10 more oz of water. To try and save it would get way too complicated, especially for someone just starting out.

Juba you can put it straight in your garbage - there is nothing there to do any damage. Even lye heavy soap can be thrown out..... don't flush it or put it down the sink because you would end up with clogged pipes.

Hhhmmm...there should be something Juba can do with it. I would hold off throwing it away just yet. Myself? I would add the 10 oz of lye to 5 oz of water....very, very carefully, let it cool some and then throw it all in a crock pot or in a very big stainless steel pot and put it in the oven. What have you got to lose except some lye? I would take a shot that it might still be saved.

yes, don't throw it away....split it in half at least and incorporate it with your next batch...adding the missing lye.

Latest posts

Back