First attempt at fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linzybelle

Reaction score
I made a batch of Double Butter soap yesterday. It was my first attempt at adding fragrance. My 5year old doesn't like the smell of the soaps I have made so far. This was only my 4th batch. I ordered a sampler pack of fragrance from BB. The only one she liked was orange. I am not sure it was the right choice. I kind of wish I had just added it to half the batch instead of the whole thing. Do fragrances get lighter as they cure?

image.jpg

Each FO is different and color will also depend on the amount of vanilla content in the FO. Yes some do get lighter while some get darker. I think your soap looks great!

Depends on the fragrance. How much did you use and what was the oil weight of your recipe? If it was orange EO, then some fading is likely. If it was FO, then it may stick around at full strength.

It was an EO and I added just a tad lavender. The recipe called for 2 oz for the 3 lb batch. I am not worried about the color, just the smell.

It was an EO and I added just a tad lavender. The recipe called for 2 oz for the 3 lb batch. I am not worried about the color, just the smell.

From the batches that I have done, my scents have seemed to lessen as they cured. Some have also changed slightly. One example would be the black cherry FO from WSP that is used. When I first unmolded them, the scent was so strong that you could taste it. It was very unappealing at first. They have been curing for about 3-4 weeks now and the scent has lessened considerably and is perfect. I hope after a nice long cure that the scent comes around for you.

Hi! Most citrus EO's will fade over time - some within a few months until almost nothing remains. FO's will also do the same but more slowly. To stabilize the citrus scents and hold them longer add a little bit of Litsea EO with any citrus fragrance. You made some beautiful soap. Good for you! :thumbup:

Don't know anything about fragrances, because I haven't started to use them yet. I just wanted to comment on how lovely your soap is.

Your soap is lovely, some scents take time to develop and others fade. Citrus is particularly hard to get to stick in soap.

Thank you all for your comments and complements. I noticed it doesn't smell as strong this morning. That or I am just getting used to it! :) It may not have any smell at all once itis cured, but that is probably better than the way it smelled right after pouring it in the mold.

Back