Facial Soap Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally can't use most soap on my face. The only one that doesn't break me out or cause me to peel, or both, is this recipe (or variations thereof):

80% lard
20% coconut oil

1% SF (no need to go higher because the lard is high in conditioning and low in cleansing).
2% of oils for each of these: colloidal oats, goat milk powder, sugar (or sorbitol), and sodium citrate (or your chelator of choice).

I use a 40% lye concentration and heat the fats to 160F to get them fully melted and thus avoid stearic spots. Since these bars usually have no color and only a little EO to cover the smell of the fats, I soap this recipe fairly hot (120F to 150F) so it emulsifies quickly.

Although my facial skin can handle this a couple of times per week, gentle syndet cleansers are much better choice for my face. I still love these bars in the shower, though, because they keep the rest of my skin from drying out so badly in the winter.

Awesome .

Im looking for a face and beard soap.

So trying to make a recipe with Hemp Oil , and Jojoba oil .

Palm Free.

If anyone has any idea please let me know

I personally can't use most soap on my face. The only one that doesn't break me out or cause me to peel, or both, is this recipe (or variations thereof):

80% lard
20% coconut oil

1% SF (no need to go higher because the lard is high in conditioning and low in cleansing).
2% of oils for each of these: colloidal oats, goat milk powder, sugar (or sorbitol), and sodium citrate (or your chelator of choice).

I use a 40% lye concentration and heat the fats to 160F to get them fully melted and thus avoid stearic spots. Since these bars usually have no color and only a little EO to cover the smell of the fats, I soap this recipe fairly hot (120F to 150F) so it emulsifies quickly.

Although my facial skin can handle this a couple of times per week, gentle syndet cleansers are much better choice for my face. I still love these bars in the shower, though, because they keep the rest of my skin from drying out so badly in the winter.
Sounds amazing ,

Im not going to make soap with lard . Trying to make a vegan facial soap palm free

Sounds amazing ,

Im not going to make soap with lard . Trying to make a vegan facial soap palm free
My sons like a high coconut, high superfat, soap with charcoal and no or little fragrance. It the same one they use on their bodies

I may be Teflon coated or something, but when I wash my face, I just use any of my regular bars of soap. But, like @AliOop my recipe has lard.

I came up with those recipe . Not sure about the rice bran . But here she is . Also the superfat . I see people superfatting there bar more with facial soaps . Was wondering why?

Attachments

• 0D3A84C6-1D85-4577-976F-5098E1D01886.jpeg
    0D3A84C6-1D85-4577-976F-5098E1D01886.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
High superfat may increase mildness a bit, but so does lowering the percentage of coconut in the recipe. Shea is high in unsaponifiables, which will add to the mildness. I don't think I would go lower than 10-12% CO in the recipe you shared because you formulated for a hard, long-lasting bar (high percentage of Shea yields palmitic+stearic=33; read about "longevity" here). The inclusion of rice bran oil, which is relatively high in linoleic (polyunsaturated fat), will give the soap a bit of a silky slip.

My only suggestions are:

1. Change from 38% water as percent of oils to 33% lye concentration. That way, if you adjust your batch size up and down, your batter will be more consistent. As written, the recipe is at 25% lye concentration, which is a lot of water for a CP soap recipe.

2. Add sugar or sorbitol at 1-2% of oil weight to assist with lathering. High-butter, low-CO soaps can take some work to create lather, and the sugar will help with that.

3. Add sodium citrate at 1-2% of oil weight as a chelator. You never know if your users will have hard water. If they do, a chelator will aid with cleaner rinsing (esp important for the face), and will also help with lathering, preventing DOS, and lessening soap scum.

HTH, and let us know how it turns out. I haven't made a high-shea bar for awhile, and now you've got me thinking that's it's time! :)

Last edited:
My only suggestions are:

1. Change from 38% water as percent of oils to 33% lye concentration. That way, if you adjust your batch size up and down, your batter will be more consistent. As written, the recipe is at 25% lye concentration, which is a lot of water for a CP soap recipe.

2. Add sugar or sorbitol at 1-2% of oil weight to assist with lathering. High-butter, low-CO soaps can take some work to create lather, and the sugar will help with that.

3. Add sodium citrate at 1-2% of oil weight as a chelator. You never know if your users will have hard water. If they do, a chelator will aid with cleaner rinsing (esp important for the face), and will help with lathering, preventing DOS, and lessening soap scum.

HTH, and let it know how it turns out. I haven't made a high-shea bar for awhile, and now you've got me thinking that's it's time! :)
doesn't get better then that ! Thank you

Latest posts

Back