Facial bar for dry-sensitive skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleraine

Reaction score
I see a lot of facial bar recipes for oily or acne-prone skin but am looking for one for dry-sensitive skin. Was thinking of making one that has cleansing properties of 12 and made up of grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil, shea & mango butter with 15% CO. Superfat is 6% coz I am thinking of using GM or oat milk or aloe vera juice. Any thoughts?

Grapeseed is astringent and I read somewhere that castor (in leave on products, not soap) can be experienced as drying. The rest looks nice.

Right now I'm working on a gentle facial bar that is predominantly OO with babassu for hardness and lather, avocado, and a small % of hemp (maybe 10%).

I'm curious, why would using oat milk or aloe vera cause you to recalculate your superfat? GM, I could see. Am I missing something with respect to the other two possibilities? Haven't soaped with aloe. Oat milk didn't do much for me and it imparted a weird texture to the finished bar. I'd go for the GM.

Good luck with your formulation!

Initially I was thinking of working with the oils I currently have but avocado, hemp all sounds fab for dry skin - it's actually for the hubs who has seborrheic dermatitis - sometimes it flares up on his face!!!!!! - and refuses to use any moisturiser on his skin unless I force him. =.=

But I am also worried about DOS tho with the use of such soft/rich oils.

Oops...good catch on the superfat. For GM, I'd lower it (or maybe not) but the rest, I might just leave it at 7-10%.

my skin is very dry and I love using avocado oil in my face soap. Others to consider are sweet almond, and macadamia. I use those as well as the mango. As per Irishlass' comments, I have just made a avocado bar with pureed avocado in it...the handwash test felt really nice but the bars are still curing.

This might work? It wouldn't be very hard but it's low on cleansing, high on conditioning and the linoleic/linolenic profile is just above my maximum (15)

One of my most popular soaps is an unscented bar with avocado puree, avocado oil, and either coconut or goat's milk. Haven't soaped with hemp yet, just used it in lotion.

Total oil weight 500
Water as percent of oil weight 27.298 %
Super Fat/Discount 7 %
Lye Concentration 33 %
Water : Lye Ratio 2.03:1

Sat : Unsat Ratio 31 : 69
Iodine 77
INS 129
Fragrance Ratio 0
Fragrance Weight 0 Gm
Ingredient Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.301 4.814 136.488
Lye - NaOH 0.148 2.371 67.225

# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Avocado Oil 22 0.243 3.88 110
2 Hemp Oil 8 0.088 1.411 40
3 Olive Oil 50 0.551 8.818 250
4 Coconut Oil 20 0.22 3.527 100
Totals NaN 1.102 17.637 500

Soap Bar Quality Suggested Range Your Recipe
Hardness 29 - 54 30
Cleansing 12 - 22 13
Conditioning 44 - 69 66
Bubbly 14 - 46 13
Creamy 16 - 48 16
Iodine 41 - 70 77
INS 136 - 165 129

Lauric 10
Myristic 4
Palmitic 14
Stearic 3
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 50
Linoleic 14
Linolenic 2

seborrheic dermatitis

Initially I was thinking of working with the oils I currently have but avocado, hemp all sounds fab for dry skin - it's actually for the hubs who has seborrheic dermatitis - sometimes it flares up on his face!!!!!! - and refuses to use any moisturiser on his skin unless I force him. =.=

Seborrheic dermatitis is an inflammatory skin condition caused by an over production of oils and irritation. Lipophilic yeasts also contribute to the problem. Even though it appears to be, it is not caused by dry skin. It’s like cradle cap in infants. When it affects the scalp they treat it with shampoo like Selsun Blue. I guess I’d look at oils like the grapeseed that you were originally thinking about. And if it were me, I’d look at infusing a couple of my oils with herbs like calendula, mullein, and nettle leaf. Looks like it’s going to take a little research, but I think that it’ll be worth it.
Best wishes, Jan

Latest posts

Back