Expert Advice needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspiringdakini

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have made this melt and pour recipe from scratch a few times and it turns out great but has a yellow/amber tint to it. I was thinking, if maybe I substituted a few of the ingredients that perhaps it would come out without the amber color/tint to it. Here is the original recipe:

5oz Distilled Water (for Lye)
2.6oz Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
5oz Castor Oil
6oz Coconut Oil
6oz Palm Oil
9oz Propylene Glycol
3oz Glycerin
3oz Sugar dissolved into 3oz Distilled Water

I was thinking of substituting the the castor oil for clear mineral oil, but I have just learned that mineral oil does not saponify. I was also planning on substituting the palm oil for white vegetable shortening. These 2 ingredients do not have a yellow tint to them like the palm and castor oil do. Does anyone else out there know of a clear oil I could use in place of the castor oil to help the soap not turn out with the amber tint to it? Or how about leaving the castor oil out all together, use veg shortening in place of the palm oil and double up on the coconut oil? Do you experts out there think this would work? I want to try it but I want to run it by some experienced soapers to get your opinions first. I would hate to waste all of these ingredients to have to throw it away. I also thought about adding some Triethanolamine when I melt it to use to make it a bit more clear. Thanks for all of your help!!! I anxiously await your replies!!! <3:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Palm Oil is probably the culprit here contributing to your color. My main base I use is Olive Oil/Coconut/Palm--and it has a pale yellow color which I like very much. The Castor Oil I have is not tinted at all but quite clear. I can't really speak to your Castor Oil I'm afraid. I would try switching out your Palm Oil for a whiter oil like Sweet Almond Oil or Avocado Oil. If you're looking for a white type soap you can add some titanium dioxide to your mix to give it a white color. I am not sure of the exact amount but I'm sure you could find the answer from Soap Making Resources--they may even sell it and they are always good about giving approximate estimations of percentages. I hope this helped you some.

Latest posts

Back