Excited to get started! Would love some help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - my name is April. I'm glad to have found your forum!

I've been reading soapmaking books and watching videos, and I think I'm about ready to dive in! I am interested in making cold process goat's milk soap. Is there any legitimate reason not to give that a try for my first batch?

Also - two really basic questions:

Lye. Brambleberry sells flake lye. The reviews don't look great, and I don't want to have problems right from the start. I've read articles weighing the attributes of flake versus bead lye. It sounds like flake is the preferred form for most - I'm wondering if there is a reliable brand out there that I should look for. I'd love any and all opinions on form and brand!

Batch size. I'm sure this is a really silly question, but how do I know what size mold I need for a recipe?

Thank you!

Hi April, welcome to the forum!

Goat milk will make your first soap more complicated, so it depends on how confident you are whether or not I'd recommend using it. The thing with goat milk is that it can easily overheat and burn, so you have to make sure you keep your temps low. If you want to use GM, I'd recommend making a 50% lye solution (50:50 water:lye) and adding another part of goat milk (the rest of the water you need, which will be about the same weight as the water, depending on your lye concentration). You can either add the frozen goat milk to your lye solution after it cools (it will heat up a bit again), or just mix liquid goat milk with your oils. Make sure the lye is cooled down enough before adding it to your oils to prevent overheating and put your mold in a cool place after you finish making your soap.
There are quite a few professional goat milk soap makers on here and they might have more (or better) advice. I've only done a few GM soaps so far.

I can't help with lye suppliers as I'm not in the US. I've never used flakes, but I can say I prefer bigger beads over tiny ones😉 Not sure if that's of any help to you though..

About batch/mold size.. it depends a bit on the amount of water you use. I generally use 33% lye concentration (1:2 lye:water) and my oil weight is +-67% of my mold volume. So with a new mold I basically measure the volume of my mold and multiply by 0.67. If you use more water you need less oil and vice versa. This will always be an approximation and you might have to adjust later.
I only know this calculation in metric, so I hope you don't mind. Measure height x with x length of (the inside of) your mold in centimeters and multiply these 3 values. This will give you the volume in cm3 or ml (same thing). Multiply by 0.67 and you have your approximate oil weight in grams.
Alternatively you could fill your mold with water and measure either volume or weight of the water that fits your mold (1ml=1cm3=1g water, so they're interchangeable) and multiply by 0.67 to get your approximate oil weight for that mold.
If you prefer imperial maybe someone else could help you. Imperial still confuses me.. 🙃

This answer turned out longer than I expected. I hope I've helped you a bit😉

Hi April and welcome!! I personally recommend waiting on the milk soap till you've made a couple batches. Then do the split method (I mostly milk soap). I mix my lye with an equal amount of water. Then the difference for the liquid recommended on the lye calc I add as milk to my oils and blend well before adding cooled lye mix.

I would make 1 lb batches but not more than 2 in the beginning.

I have used both flake and beads. I prefer the beads (that's what my supplier carries). Either with work just fine though.

Make sure any recipe you use you run it through a lye calculator. Errors happen in print. Have fun!

Thank you so much, both of you, for all of your input!

Szaza - the beads I found on Amazon are Essential Depot "Micro Beads." What are the bigger beads that you use? I may not be able to find them here, but at least I could compare. I would guess they probably take longer to dissolve. What is the up-side to the bigger beads?

Shunt2011-What brand of lye beads do you use? Looking for some recommendations before I buy!

I just re-read both of your answers. I think I understand your instructions for the 50:50 split. Is this just to make it so the soap doesn't overheat? How much does this reduce the milk "benefits" and feel to the soap?

Thanks for all of the help! I'm hoping to order some lye today, and get started soon!

Last edited:
Welcome, April!

Hi all - my name is April. I'm glad to have found your forum!

I've been reading soapmaking books and watching videos, and I think I'm about ready to dive in! I am interested in making cold process goat's milk soap. Is there any legitimate reason not to give that a try for my first batch?

It's always best to start simple to get the basic feel of things. I would try it out on your second batch, but only if you do the split method of milk soaping. The split method makes things very simple- it's a no-fuss no/muss method for making milk soaps.

Also - two really basic questions:

Lye. Brambleberry sells flake lye. The reviews don't look great, and I don't want to have problems right from the start. I've read articles weighing the attributes of flake versus bead lye. It sounds like flake is the preferred form for most - I'm wondering if there is a reliable brand out there that I should look for. I'd love any and all opinions on form and brand!

As long as the lye is 100% NaOH (i.e. NaOH without any other listed additives), you'll be fine. I buy mine online in bulk now from either Essential Depot or Brambleberry, but I used to use Rooto-brand from my local Ace Hardware, and also Roebic lye from my local Lowe's, which are both 100% NaOH without additives and they are perfect for soapmaking.

Re: bead or flake.......to me, it makes no difference whether it is in the flake form or bead form. I've used both and they both dissolve and soap perfectly fine. The only problem you may run into is with the bead form.......when you open the container, the beads can tend to fly into the air due to static if your ambient air is really dry. When I use the bead form, before opening the container, I wipe the outside of the container down good with a dryer sheet all over. It takes the static right out of it and causes it to behave nicely when I open the cover and pour it out. (I live in a very dry climate)

Batch size. I'm sure this is a really silly question, but how do I know what size mold I need for a recipe?

Thank you!

If you are buying a mold from a soap-making vendor, they make it very easy......they normally tell you what amount of soap can be made in it. What you can do is type "1 lb soap molds" into google and you'll get all kinds of hits.

Since you are new to soapmaking, start out with 1 lb batches at the very least or 2 lb batches at the absolute very most until you get the hang of things. If something were to go wrong, then you won't have wasted a lot of oils/lye.

I think I understand your instructions for the 50:50 split. Is this just to make it so the soap doesn't overheat? How much does this reduce the milk "benefits" and feel to the soap?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I use the split method because it means I can make a really nice-looking off-white/ivory colored milk soap without having to go through the extra time and hassle it takes to dissolve my lye into frozen milk. I take the weight of the lye required for my batch and mix it with an equal amount of water in weight, and whatever liquid amount for my batch is still needed to fulfill the total amount, I add it as fresh (not frozen) goat milk or coconut milk directly to my oils, either before or just after adding the lye solution to the oils. This will make a nice, roughly 30%-ish milk soap which will come out more creamy than if I had not used any milk at all.

And if I want to make a 100% milk soap, which is creamier (i.e. milk as 100% of my liquid amount), I can still accomplish this using the split method: I just add enough powdered goat milk or powdered coconut milk to the fresh milk portion to bring the milk concentration up to what would be 100% for my total required liquid amount for my batch.

Or if I don't have any fresh goat or coconut milk on hand, I can just use all powdered goat milk powdered coconut milk (which I always seem to have some on hand) by mixing the lye with an equal amount of water in weight, and taking the remaining needed water amount and dissolving enough powdered into it to bring the concentration up to what would equal a 100% amount of milk for my batch, and add that to my oils either before or after adding the lye solution to my oils.

For what it's worth, in the end, I really don't see any difference whether using fresh milk or powdered milk. They both produce a nice, creamy feeling soap.

Also for what it's worth, my milk soaps do not overheat or discolor to tan, in spite of soaping them between 110-120F and encouraging them gel in a warm (110F) oven. I should probably mention that I use a 33% lye concentration, which matters, i.e., the higher the lye concentration, the harder it is for the soap to get internally hot enough to go through full gel without applying some form of outside heat.

IrishLass :)

What is the up-side to the bigger beads?
They seem less susceptible to the static effect @IrishLass described. And on the off chance they do go places they don't belong it's easier to spot and clean them up, so I'm a lot less paranoid handling the bigger beads😉 by bigger I mean beads of +-1mm, maybe 2mm diameter, so still really small. The small ones were probably less than 0.5mm diameter and almost powder. The difference is purely in supplier and I haven't noticed any difference on the label.

Latest posts

Back