EOs in soap- low conetrations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeRabbit

Reaction score
Jasmine 5% in jojova, Lily 5% in jojva- are they good oils to use in soap and will they give a strong smell?

I don't think you will get much of a smell from those. Jasmine wax might be a better and cheaper alternative. Jojoba is also a soft oil and if you use too much, it will make your soap soft as well. I would save those for leave-on applications.

Little confused.

Those are each 5% in a base oil, and you want to use to scent soap?

If yes, I'd say it's probably too weak. We use EOs at about 3-7% of the base oils - so you would need to use a lot to get the concentration you need in the soap. In fact, the fragranced oils would have to BE your soaping oils...

6% of a pound of oils is in the area of 30 grams - It would take 600 grams of your fragranced oils to get that amount of EO. And since a pound of oils is only 454 grams to begin with... you can see how it wouldn't work out.

carebear said:
Little confused.

Those are each 5% in a base oil, and you want to use to scent soap?

If yes, I'd say it's probably too weak. We use EOs at about 3-7% of the base oils - so you would need to use a lot to get the concentration you need in the soap. In fact, the fragranced oils would have to BE your soaping oils...

6% of a pound of oils is in the area of 30 grams - It would take 600 grams of your fragranced oils to get that amount of EO. And since a pound of oils is only 454 grams to begin with... you can see how it wouldn't work out.

these oils are also sold diluted because of their high price and high conentration in original form- they smell strong even when diluted so. I was just wondering if anyone tried soaping with it? I know it's much less then usuall amount, but maybe they are strong enough to overcome it.

If they are absolutes in a carrier, you may want to try them out and see for yourself. Some absolutes are VERY strong in pure form and would still have a presence in soap (like rose absolute... or pure Santal)... others will react chemically and get lost in the chemistry of soaping.

I have another thread of a similar nature on this forum that asks about absolutes... responses are mixed. Some say don't use them for soap, another response suggests that absolutes are fine.

I would never be brave enough to use in CP...maybe in MP, but I haven't done too much MP, so I don't know.

Back