EOcalc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My soap calc saponicalc I use is telling me 3% of EO in my recipe should be 29.3g but EOcalc is telling me that 3% is only 14.7g feeling confused about this. My batch is 979.76g of oils before adding lye. I want to put 3% Star Anise and 3% Lavender 40/42.

Are you comparing apples to apples, i.e. batch weight and not oil weight, or vice versa?

Also, I would double-check the safe usage rate on star anise. I haven’t used it in awhile but I seem to recall it was closer to 1%.
I think the EOcalc said up to 3% is safe for star anise It wasn't red. I hope I haven't been using to much EOs using the FOcalc on my soap calc I think I will just follow the EOcalc from now on. I put 980g oil weight in the EOcalc. I think the soap calc goes by oil weight too. Hmmm I think I will just follow the EOcalc this time and see how it goes.

Are you comparing apples to apples, i.e. batch weight and not oil weight, or vice versa?

Also, I would double-check the safe usage rate on star anise. I haven’t used it in awhile but I seem to recall it was closer to 1%.
When I put star anise by its self for 100% it says 1% your always right that's why I love you thanks so much I have been putting to much star anise in my batches whoopsy. Now I have 2 batches with 3% shoot now I will wonder what to do with it if it's not bothering my skin can I still use it?

@CLMP you are too kind, thank you! FWIW My husband would agree on the loving me part, but not the always-right part. 😂

Regarding your extra-anise soap, If it’s not bothering your skin, maybe keep it for personal use and alternate using it with other soaps. Sensitivity can build up over time, and it would be sad if you became unable to use anise EO after awhile!

@CLMP you are too kind, thank you! FWIW My husband would agree on the loving me part, but not the always-right part. 😂

Regarding your extra-anise soap, If it’s not bothering your skin, maybe keep it for personal use and alternate using it with other soaps. Sensitivity can build up over time, and it would be sad if you became unable to use anise EO after awhile!
Thanks I will use it once in a while. I'm just starting to figure out how to use Essential Oils And liking them alot because they seem so nice for practicing swirling. Do you happen to know where I could find more info on using EO for CP soaping, I'd love to learn more before I make any more mistakes lol.😆

We have some good threads here on SMF about which EOs stick, which accelerate, etc. If you use the search bar for EO and check the box for Titles Only, that should bring them up for you. 😊

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone I think your all right about what I was doing wrong and I shouldn't have been using the FO calc on my app I realise now I've been using to much EO I thought all EOs could go up to 5 %. Luckily I usually use lavender so those batches are ok but a couple of my batches have to much star anise in them. I'm just glade I've learned how to use the EOcalc now it's amazing. I'm going to order some more EOs now! I'm going to try some of those recipes on EOcalc. Again thanks so much!🥰

So here is another question why does EOcalc only have peppermint redistilled, why doesn't it have just regular peppermint EO. I have no idea if my peppermint is redistilled or not my soap supplier just has peppermint EO it doesn't say if it's redistilled. Does this matter when I put peppermint in the EOcalc. Did I buy the wrong kind of peppermint EO for soap making? Thanks so much!

@CLMP Thanks for this thread! Must be time to start thinking about winter smells. I am preparing to try a peppermint or peppermint blend.
Your welcome we love peppermint in are family we all have skin problems and even though it feels strong and Tingley we can still use it, it agrees with are skin lol even are dog has skin problems lol are pour dog is allergic to everything he suffers so much with scratching and biting Him self till he bleeds.

Your welcome we love peppermint in are family we all have skin problems and even though it feels strong and Tingley we can still use it, it agrees with are skin lol even are dog has skin problems lol are pour dog is allergic to everything he suffers so much with scratching and biting Him self till he bleeds.
I am really looking forward to peppermint soap. 🤞🏻that I can tolerate it. I have been scent free for many years and I miss it a lot.
Your poor dog. We adopted a kitten two and a half years ago that was sickly. After six months, many vet visits and trying all the prescription food, the vet recommended steroids. I just couldn’t do that to a 6 month old kitten so I went against the vets recommendation and started her on raw rabbit with supplements. Two years later she is amazingly healthy. The raw food is a bit of a PIA but better than cleaning up poop that has been flung all over the walls because it stuck to her tail. 🤮 I don’t know exactly what she reacted to but it must have been a pretty common ingredient.

I am really looking forward to peppermint soap. 🤞🏻that I can tolerate it. I have been scent free for many years and I miss it a lot.
Your poor dog. We adopted a kitten two and a half years ago that was sickly. After six months, many vet visits and trying all the prescription food, the vet recommended steroids. I just couldn’t do that to a 6 month old kitten so I went against the vets recommendation and started her on raw rabbit with supplements. Two years later she is amazingly healthy. The raw food is a bit of a PIA but better than cleaning up poop that has been flung all over the walls because it stuck to her tail. 🤮 I don’t know exactly what she reacted to but it must have been a pretty common ingredient.
Sorry I couldn't help but laugh so hard when you said poop flung everywhere on the walls it reminded me of my youngest son when he was a baby he hated pooping in his diaper he would rip it off and fling it everywhere it's a big joke now that he is 15 we tease him about it, but back then in those days I used to ball my eyes out when it happened. So I can just imagine how you felt too. But yah the thing with are dog is horrible he wasn't allergic to anything untill the vet decided it was OK to give him his puppy and adult shots at the same time when we got him at 5 months old and now he is allergic to everything all he can eat is turkey and rice. The vet doesn't believe that giving the dog both shots did that to him but it happened right after his shots and we found out on the internet that it can happen after having both shots it also said it's a very bad idea to give both shots at the same time can cause all kinds of health problems from the info we found. We almost put him down because he suffers so much he couldn't sleep and cried so much now he is lucky to have my mom cause she constantly puts cream on him and cooks him everything he can eat he is so allergic to dog foods and I make him soap lol but yah he is so lucky to have my mom because it would be just to much work for me to handle it I'm sad to say it but it's true. I hope your peppermint soaps work out nice for you.

Sorry I couldn't help but laugh so hard when you said poop flung everywhere on the walls it reminded me of my youngest son when he was a baby he hated pooping in his diaper he would rip it off and fling it everywhere it's a big joke now that he is 15 we tease him about it, but back then in those days I used to ball my eyes out when it happened. So I can just imagine how you felt too. But yah the thing with are dog is horrible he wasn't allergic to anything untill the vet decided it was OK to give him his puppy and adult shots at the same time when we got him at 5 months old and now he is allergic to everything all he can eat is turkey and rice. The vet doesn't believe that giving the dog both shots did that to him but it happened right after his shots and we found out on the internet that it can happen after having both shots it also said it's a very bad idea to give both shots at the same time can cause all kinds of health problems from the info we found. We almost put him down because he suffers so much he couldn't sleep and cried so much now he is lucky to have my mom cause she constantly puts cream on him and cooks him everything he can eat he is so allergic to dog foods and I make him soap lol but yah he is so lucky to have my mom because it would be just to much work for me to handle it I'm sad to say it but it's true. I hope your peppermint soaps work out nice for you.
I used to be a dog groomer and breeder and also fed a raw natural diet to my cat and dogs. Huge difference in heath with feeding what there ancestors ate. In my experience of helping many clients switch, if they are allergic to an ingredient in dry food, it does not affect them with raw.

Oh your poor doggo. That’s awful and worse that it was probably caused by the vet. 🤬 I know they do their best and some are amazing but some just shouldn’t practice. Your pup is lucky to have you and your mom.
I can laugh about the poop now but felt so badly for her (and me) when it was happening. I honestly believe she would have been returned to the shelter or kicked outside if I hadn’t adopted her. I have my own set of food issues so I think that helped.
He,he your son must hate that story. 😂
I am off to soak some peppermint EO in kaolin clay so it will be ready in a couple days.

I used to be a dog groomer and breeder and also fed a raw natural diet to my cat and dogs. Huge difference in heath with feeding what there ancestors ate. In my experience of helping many clients switch, if they are allergic to an ingredient in dry food, it does not affect them with raw.
Wow I'm going to tell my mom about this she has been cooking for him big turkeys with rice and peas and he is a big German Shepherd so he eats alot so she is cooking all the time. He is really allergic to beef and chicken and fish. I think he can handle pork and lamb but I might be wrong about that. Thanks so much 😀

Oh your poor doggo. That’s awful and worse that it was probably caused by the vet. 🤬 I know they do their best and some are amazing but some just shouldn’t practice. Your pup is lucky to have you and your mom.
I can laugh about the poop now but felt so badly for her (and me) when it was happening. I honestly believe she would have been returned to the shelter or kicked outside if I hadn’t adopted her. I have my own set of food issues so I think that helped.
He,he your son must hate that story. 😂
I am off to soak some peppermint EO in kaolin clay so it will be ready in a couple days.
Oh how nice I hope your soap turns out beautifully if we are lucky maybe you will post some soapy photos in a few days for us. And yes your kitty was so lucky to have you too, we felt the same way we just knew if we gave him away no one would be able to care for him like my mom does. I love dogs but I'm definitely more of a cat lady like you lol 😂. I do everything with my cat and bring her everywhere except when shopping I have a leash and a backpack for my cat lol.😂

Latest posts

Back