EO and others in Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbiz

Reaction score
Hi all! I making liquid soaps, 1st batch and I got some questions that google couldnt give me best answers. Hope you guys can help :D .
1) Guides said that we can also put EO (or oil soluble FO) into LS, at about 2%/pound. But EO is oil and LS is kind of water, will EO not mix in and floating on LS surface after few days? If I do not want to use Polysorbate, how can I mix it into LS in a natural way?

2) Can I add something else to increase moisturizer, like wheat protein, or extract? This will require preservative right? Is there any other thing to increase moisturizer like Glycerin without adding preservative?

Thank you all :mrgreen:

Essential oils and fragrance oil should mix right into a liquid soap base without polysorbate. 2% is very high though. If you add too much of any fragrance or EO, you will have to worry about breaking the salt curve of the soap base. Once that happens your product will become water thin and there is no turning back. Many commercial liquid soap bases can accept a fragrance or essential oil at around .5% with no problem. Obviously there are variables like the quality of the fragrance or the type of essential oil. However, if you use a quality fragrance or EO, .5% should be more than enough. As a rule of thumb, we recommend our customers focus on using quality fragrances or essential oil and keep the level low. If you use high quality oils, you can usually get the smell you desire without having the oil level too high. :D

Nice, thanks BulkApothecary. Many guides recommend to use up to 3% FO for liquid soap, I think because their FOs are not very strong. Anyone have any idea about addnig extract or additives to increase moisturizer? :)

With essential oils you want to keep your levels beneath 1.5% due to the therapeutic properties. I warm my liquid soap in order to incorporate the FO or EO. If your LS is too thin you can add crothix to it - that stuff is pure magic.... :lol:

Latest posts

Back