Embed problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been experimenting using embeds recently and encountering problems that make me question if I want to continue. I use a column mold and tightly wrap the finished embed in plastic wrap until I'm ready to use it. This one was made about 4 to 6 weeks ago and used in this soap I made 2 days ago. Am I getting these white splotches because I don't use it right away? Is there any way to prevent this?

PXL_20220505_213927538.jpg

That looks like soda ash on the embed surface, but not on the main soap, right? I am guessing the recipes are slightly different, or at least, the embed was not gelled to start. Even when you insert an embed into a soap batter that does gel, the embed may still not heat up as much as the new batter because for some reason it takes longer for an ungelled soap to gel after the fact.

I would attempt to gel the embed prior while still in the embed mold and see if that improves your results when later inserted into the new soap.

That looks like soda ash on the embed surface, but not on the main soap, right? I am guessing the recipes are slightly different, or at least, the embed was not gelled to start. Even when you insert an embed into a soap batter that does gel, the embed may still not heat up as much as the new batter because for some reason it takes longer for an ungelled soap to gel after the fact.

I would attempt to gel the embed prior while still in the embed mold and see if that improves your results when later inserted into the new soap.
Thank you, @earlene . The recipes for the embed and main batch are the same, but you're right about the embed not being gelled. The embedded loaf did gel.
Since I make the embed in a small column mold, I'm not sure what's the best way to get it to gel. It needs to stand upright, so it would be hard to put in the oven. Would I need to try and balance it with a heating pad around it?

Back