Dust on fresh soap from the mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made a batch of soap and guess I forgot to clean the mold. There’s dust on them and I’m not sure what to do. Please help! I was trying to sell them! Look worse in person!
upload_2019-9-12_18-24-35.jpeg

There's something else on there that's even grosser than dust, especially if it's embedded lol

If you're already going to sell after just a few batches, you should always remember to clean everything you will be using. That's the least you can do for your customers.

Can't you wipe it off? Maybe it's just stuck to the surface and a little water with a soft cloth might do it. If it's deep I would not be selling this.

There's something else on there that's even grosser than dust, especially if it's embedded lol

If you're already going to sell after just a few batches, you should always remember to clean everything you will be using. That's the least you can do for your customers.

Can't you wipe it off? Maybe it's just stuck to the surface and a little water with a soft cloth might do it. If it's deep I would not be selling this.
I know I always clean everything; it was the first time I had help and things weren’t done that I was told happened
I think they look glossy because I just unmolded them, and I added titanium dioxide to the batch to whiten.
Should I let it cure awhile before trying to wipe?

I don't know, honestly.. Try a small corner now perhaps? Or pick a soap that will be left with you if all goes south and see what's the best way to remove that dust... And please, the hair.

I'd also put off selling these for now, if at all. I've seen soap that started getting DOS where foreign matter has been, at even just one spot. If one of your customers bought these and kept them and only used them 8mos from now and found weird looking off smelling stuff they'd be put off. And you'd be doing them a disservice if you sold them soap you're not 100% sure about....

Frankly, if you do not know the answers to these questions you should not be selling. Either use them yourself or dump them and remember to clean your molds. I there is a hair on the top there very well could be a hair on the bottom. Several years ago I poured a batch of high shea butter soap before realizing my SB was missing a piece of plastic from the shield. I took no chances and dumped all 14 bars in the trash.

I don't know, honestly.. Try a small corner now perhaps? Or pick a soap that will be left with you if all goes south and see what's the best way to remove that dust... And please, the hair.

I'd also put off selling these for now, if at all. I've seen soap that started getting DOS where foreign matter has been, at even just one spot. If one of your customers bought these and kept them and only used them 8mos from now and found weird looking off smelling stuff they'd be put off. And you'd be doing them a disservice if you sold them soap you're not 100% sure about....
Yeah I’ll try doing that. My kitty must’ve been curious about the molds before I used it!

Here's my opinion as a customer regarding selling: if I was using the soap at home and found hair embedded in my soap (how do you know dust and hair didn't get further mixed into the batter as you poured), I would probably never buy soap from that seller again. And I'd probably be mentioning it to my friends.

Why would you even consider selling it. It’s not even a question that would be asked by an experienced soaped. You’ve made a few batches of soap. You have no idea if it’s a good soap or how it will perform 6 months to a year down the road. Heck even 3 months. Will it get DOS? The soaps pictured have contaminated. Use them yourself or toss them. Also selling this soon unfortunately you may be setting yourself up for failure and it will affect other soapmakers as well I can the long run.

Handmade soap is a specialty item. You sell bad soap and it will keep customers from buying from anyone not just you.

Get the experience and know your recipes.

Yeah I’ll try doing that. My kitty must’ve been curious about the molds before I used it!
Are you wearing a hairnet? I get that is cat hair but, I sell scrubs and body butters and lotions (no soap yet) and wear a hairnet anytime I am making anything. I may have lovely blonde locks but no one wants it in their product.

I have to agree with @cmzaha and @shunt2011 and all the others- you don't seem ready to sell. If you were, you would know this is a bad soap. Maybe not bad functionally but if you were to go to a store and saw a soap like that, what you think? Would you buy it, or would you be grossed out? I personally would be grossed out and not buy from there ever again, regardless.

If you are selling, regardless if someone else did this or not - YOU are responsible. You should have QC'd your work space, you should have known to clean your molds, and for goddess sake you should KNOW not to sell a soap that looks like that.

You should have QC'd your work space, you should have known to clean your molds, and for goddess sake you should KNOW not to sell a soap that looks like that.
Adding to this ... You should not have your cat in your workspace. You should have all of your supplies kept in a place where they can be kept clean and dust free. I do periodically let my cats into my workspace (I worry about mice), but that is all they are allowed to do is nose around in the corners and then shoo'd promptly out. They are not allowed on workspaces or storage shelves. I keep my soap dungeon door tightly closed for this reason.

As for the issue at hand, I agree with the others, toss the batch and do things properly.

I wash all my equipment just before I use it, Every time including molds..unfortunately I have a tiny house and bigish doggums. My soaps are in their own room but my equipment is in the kitchen area..so wash I do. Ive been making soap for now, 6 years or so and often it still feels like 6 months x 12.......Big learning curve. I started selling about 10 months ago and I feel that it is my duty to provide something special and comforting to the folks who buy from me.....just makes my soapy efforts more conscientious...at least to the best of my ability which is Way short of perfect. There is a lot to consider when selling.

Back