droplets on top of soap..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnedlight

Reaction score
I just made a goats milk soap today, here's the recipe..
olive oil 4oz
palm oil 3.5oz
coconut oil 3.5oz
almond oil 2.5oz
cocoa butter 1oz
castor oil 0.5oz
with 5% superfat

I added mint fo, half a teaspoon of vit e and coloured half the batch at light trace with cocoa and instant coffee in a few drops of water.

The soap is weeping brown drops on top this evening, it's not hard yet, and I think it's the coffee - is it a disaster or should I just wait and see what happens as it hardens? :?
I'll try and add a picture.
soap issues by turnedlight, on Flickr

ok I'll keep an eye. I though maybe it got too hot under the insulation, I have been gelling recently, but today the heating was on so maybe it got hotter than usual..

i have had that happen to me when i have used cocoa to color, esp if i use a lot. :? i have even had one batch that ended up with these pockets of clear fluid in then only where i colored with cocoa. i cut the bars since the fluid did not zap or anything and rinsed them off real good and let them cure. they are fine, but interesting looking.

I was thinking that as I was adding it late on and not with the oils, I should have tried to dissolve the cocoa and coffee in oils not water - if they would, that is..

i had this happen on a batch last wk. Ive seen water drops sweating out before but never w/ color.. i freaked b/c the only thing colored was the eo.. it was either patchouli or orange.

funny the drops were only on the top which was turned to the side so i turned it so the top was up and just let it do its thing. the drops evaporated....i think. the bar still smells. :p

I've had something like this happen when I used instant coffee and it wasn't completely dissolved. I ended up having to rebatch. In your case, I'd wait a bit and see what happens.

Well, the drops have gone and I've sliced the soap. It looks fine.
I also poured what was left over into a pot and didn't gel, just left it on the side, it has just this afternoon done the same thing - weeping the coffee out I guess - and then a little later it had gone.
Thanks for your help all, I'm finding this very interesting!

Back