Dove commerical

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMom

Reaction score
Have you guys seen the Dove commerical that shows 2 women under like some kind ultravoilet light...one washed with soap and one washed with Dove. They show that there is some kind of whitish film on the woman who washed with soap and the women who washed with Dove is totally clean *of course*. They say that the whitish film on the soap woman is soap scum. Could it be the glyercin that they pull out of their products? They are dissing soap, how could they?!?! :evil:

I've seen it. I wish I could set that experiment up and try it for myself to see what the "real" results would be.

Maybe somebody here has the capability to do this and share the results???

Seen it? I've shouted, sworn, spat etc. What a load of rubbish! Do you think Dove are getting a bit worried about us soapers taking over? As far as I can see it's aimed a real soap makers.
On the other hand, take a look at this short video made by Greenpeace, it's all about Unilever. Apparently they rethought their use of palm oil after this.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odI7pQFyjso"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odI7pQFyjso[/ame]

I personally think the UV shows that the Dove has stripped all of the skin of its necessary oils.

soap does leave soap scum in hard water
detergent products don't - Dove is primarily detergent

That's its all the more important reason, for us soapers, to know that ingredients we're buying from distributors are coming from Fair Trade suppliers. Does anyone ever wonder why Dove & other commercial soap companies never give the name (sometimes) of their competitor's product they're using to compare too their trademark products? Or where (regions or countries) their supplies are coming from?

SoapMom said:
Have you guys seen the Dove commerical that shows 2 women under like some kind ultravoilet light...one washed with soap and one washed with Dove. They show that there is some kind of whitish film on the woman who washed with soap and the women who washed with Dove is totally clean *of course*. They say that the whitish film on the soap woman is soap scum. Could it be the glyercin that they pull out of their products? They are dissing soap, how could they?!?! :evil:

Hi soapmom - I have a more user-friendly flourescent light machine (skin analysing machine) which reads the same as ultra violet - just not as potentially dangerous.....I will do the 'test' for you all and report back in a new thread.

Tanya :)

SimplyE said:
I personally think the UV shows that the Dove has stripped all of the skin of its necessary oils.

I quite agree - that was my thought when I saw the commercial is what a perfect representation of skin stripped of its natural oils.... :lol:

Well, exactly. Just because there is something left on the skin that shows up under UV light doesn't mean that the something in question is bad. What is "bad", anyway? Geez louise.

Dove

It's propaganda. They are selling the idea that detergents that strip the skin of it's natural protection is better than soaps that have unsaponified, emolient oils in them.

I do use a very dilute apple cider vinegar "toner" after washing my face with my soaps to ensure that all the soap is rinsed off, but it doesn't strip the oils from my skin.

Actually I believe they are selling the idea that detergents don't form soap scum and soap does. They're right.

Doesn't mean it's better, but what they are saying is true.

Back