DOS in carrot juice soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elly

Reaction score
I am so upset my first carrot juice soap and after 2 months of curing it has developed DOS :cry: I am trying to work out if it was due to the carrot or was it something else? I have in my notes that after a month the soap was a bit soft inside as I cut a bar. This was not my usual recipe as I have been experimenting with PKO and SL but I doubt any of these two ingredients could be the cause. It has been so humid here in Sydney lately that it might be a combo of humidity and other factors... :? Anyway I don't think I'll be making another carrot juice soap

Does it also smell rancid ?

Wondering if you can tell DOS with carrot, being that it's yellowish as it is...

No rancid smell but some orange dots which are easily seen because the soap is a pale yellow, the carrot juice did not produce a strong color.

Yes definitely DOS, I have cut off most of them the only one left on a bar is not very noticeable but here is the pic (top left corner)

009ek.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I made a carrot soap a little while back there & it developed orange spots around where there were tiny bits of carrot. I still question weather or not it is DOS. Assuming it is but wonder if its just the colour leaching from the carrot specs as its only around the specs.
Either way, I'm treating it as DOS (though my gut tells me it isn't).

Interesting...

I was going to try my hand at carrot soap too. I was going to boil up my carrots and then blend them, and then, strain them, to retain any pulp from my soap batter.

Now I'm wondering whether or not to scrap 'carrot soap' all together...

I don't know whether cooking the carrot would make a difference, I used raw carrot juice made at home, I know most people use cooked baby carrots and get no DOS, perhaps the cooking makes it less prone to oxidation? :?

Elly said:
I don't know whether cooking the carrot would make a difference, I used raw carrot juice made at home, I know most people use cooked baby carrots and get no DOS, perhaps the cooking makes it less prone to oxidation? :?

Interesting. Hopefully another soaper will have some input on this?

Elly said:

When I make carrot soap I use fresh, raw carrot juice right from my juicer (strained). I've never gotten DOS in them. I still have a few bars of carrot soap that are over 2 years old and they are still good- no DOS or rancidity.

IrishLass :)

Back