DOS... grrr.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
This has not been my week for soaping! :evil:

I made a really awesome smelling honey & nut soap last night (and used bubblewrap for a fun honeycomb look). It looked and smelled amazing this morning. When I cut it...... DOS.

GRRR.

It's not super bad - there's 5 or so tiny orange spots on each bar. How long will it last?

I usually give most of my soaps away. Besides the orange spots on this one, it's a really nice soap. I'm wondering if I can still get away with giving it to family, or if it's going to go downhill really fast. I've never had DOS before so I'm not sure how long it takes to get completely ugly.

Any ideas? I don't want to throw it out, it smells so delicious!

How do I tell which oil was bad? I used about 6. :shock:

:cry:

[/u]

I don't think it's DOS. DOS doesn't show up in soap right away like that. It's not until a few weeks after soaping at best that it shows up, many times later. My bet is that it is the honey. I had this happen to me with my first honey soap. The honey re-absorbed for the most part during cure, and the orange honey spots that didn't reabsorb during cure I just wiped off. I stuck my tongue to the spots and they were sweet. The soap was perfectly fine, though, and quite usable.

HTH!
IrishLass

Whew! I am so relieved!!!

I'm going to go lick it now, LOL, and I'll take a pic while I'm at it.

I did add real honey at trace, and it was crystalized a bit so I'm HOPING that maybe it didn't mix in well enough...

I really don't want to lose this soap!

Back with pics in a few...

Ashley....it sounds like your honey didn't dissolve.....I think it's just what you thought.

DOS take anywhere from a few weeks to months to appear, and they make the soap stink! As long as your bar isn't zappy, I'm pretty sure it's fine. :)

YAHOO!

No zap... and I aready noticed that some of the spots had absorbed since I cut it a few hours ago. It was kind of hard to find one that was really spotty for the pic. :D

I guess I will know for SURE if it is or isn't DOS later on tonight. I made a new batch of soap with the exact same oils before I cut the honey soap this morning. If there's no spots on that batch, I'll know it's not DOS for sure.

Here it is:

ORNAMENTS181.jpg

dagmar88 said:
Oh, Ashly, our afwull!!!
You make all these fantastic soaps and you think there's something wrong woth them :lol:

LOL, well thank you... I try VERY hard!! I do get a lot of bad batches.... and I really thought the orange spots were DOS!! I'm pretty sure they're not now though, thanks to everyone here. Thanks guys!! :lol:

Nope, those are bits o honey (LOL) - been there done that. DOS takes weeks if not months to show up.

Back