Dissolving Titanium Dioxide Power

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
I have been using Titanium Dioxide Powder (Water Soluble) for the last three batches of soap. The first time I tried it I got pretty white soap, the next time, not so white (this was because the Olive Oil was too dark) and yesterday, well it looks like I have frost the on top of my bars. Now, I dissolved this, (as best I could) in the water and lye mixture. I stirred and stirred but it never did completely dissolve. The water turned white, but there was some TD that had never dissolved when I poured up my lye solution into the oils because I could see that it had settled in the bottom of my glass measuring cup. I should not have put that in my soap, I'm sure. I think what I am seeing now on top of my soap is the Titanium D. that had not completeley dissolved. I added on 1 1/2 teaspoon per three (3) lbs. of soap, so I don't think I over-did it. If I could just get it all to dissolve, I think I would be fine.
Can someone tell me how to get this "stuff" to dissolve completely?
Thanks, Jean

I have water-soluble TD, too, and use it in certain batches, but from what I understand, it does not actually 'dissolve', like sugar dissolves, for instance. It 'disperses' instead, which mean the TD particles suspend themselves in the liquid when it's being mixed, but when it's left to sit, the particles float to the bottom of the liquid. What I do when I use my TD is mix it in with my lye water like you do, but when I actually go to soap it, I very carefully give the lye/water/TD mixture a few whirrs with my stickblender before I add it to the oils. I also make sure to stickblend my final soap batter real well, too, so that the TD particles are the smallest they can get, and are fully suspended when I pour. The same thing is true of any oxide colorant, too (if you also use oxides)- they don't actually dissolve, they disperse. HTH! :)

IrishLass

Oh, I see! I sure didn't know that. I stirred my last batch of soap with a wooden spoon instead of my stick blender because I wasn't wanting it to trace really fast, so I could make some more hearts in my soap like the first batch I made with TD. In that case, I did use the sb the whole time.
I do know now at just want consistency your "batter" has to be to accomplish the swirling techniques. So maybe I can get it right the next time and I will use the sb, just watch it very closely.
Do you know, as long as I have been making soap, it never ceases to amaze me how much I don't know. I guess it must be a constant learning thing. I have not used oxides yet and don't know if I will or not, but I am wanting to try some micas.
Thank you so much for answering my question.
Jean

Latest posts

Back