Differens steric acid / sodium lactate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDA

Reaction score
Hello
I am just wondering about the difference between steric acid and sodium lactate?
I will have it in cold process soap.
Both are making the soap harder?

I don’t use stearic acid in soap other than shaving soap. I use sodium lactate in all my batches except salt soap. SL makes the soap a bit harder initially which allows me to un-mold my soap sooner. However it doesn’t make it harder in the long run in my experience

I don’t use stearic acid in soap other than shaving soap. I use sodium lactate in all my batches except salt soap. SL makes the soap a bit harder initially which allows me to un-mold my soap sooner. However it doesn’t make it harder in the long run in my experience
Thanks a lot , but are the products the same, liquid and hard

Ditto what Shari said^^^ I use stearic acid in my shave soap and sodium lactate in all of my batches except for my salt soap, too.

Sodium lactates lends: initial hardness for easier unmolding and creamy lather as if you had added milk to your formula. It also helps HP batter pour more smoothly as well as helping liquid soap paste dilute/dissolve in a more timely fashion.

Stearic acid just makes your soap hard forever.....and unlike sodium lactate, it can cause a seize in your soap batter if you soap too cool or use too much of it. It lends creamy stable lather, but not the same kind of lovely creaminess that sodium lactate does, at least not to me anyway. It's just a different kind of creamy.

Stearic acid is solid- usually sold in flake form, while sodium lactate is sold either in powder form or a 60% liquid solution form.

IrishLass :)

Ditto what Shari said^^^ I use stearic acid in my shave soap and sodium lactate in all of my batches except for my salt soap, too.

Sodium lactates lends: initial hardness for easier unmolding and creamy lather as if you had added milk to your formula. It also helps HP batter pour more smoothly as well as helping liquid soap paste dilute/dissolve in a more timely fashion.

Stearic acid just makes your soap hard forever.....and unlike sodium lactate, it can cause a seize in your soap batter if you soap too cool or use too much of it. It lends creamy stable lather, but not the same kind of lovely creaminess that sodium lactate does, at least not to me anyway. It's just a different kind of creamy.

Stearic acid is solid- usually sold in flake form, while sodium lactate is sold either in powder form or a 60% liquid solution form.

IrishLass :)
Thanks i get it now lovely to get so quick reply ✌️

Latest posts

Back