Difference in oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmoose

Reaction score
I got the following information off of the soap calculater that I like to use.

Corn Olive Peanut
Hardness 16 15 11
Cleansing 0 0 0
Condition 85 83 82
Bubbly 0 0 0
Creamy 16 15 11
Iodine 117 82 92
INS 69 109 99

By looking at these values it seems to me that there is little difference between these 3 oils. Peanut oil could react with some peaple so I see why not to use it but why not use corn oil instead of olive oil considering the price of each? Olive oil seems very popular among soapers, I am guessing there is a reason.

Thanks for helping me. :)

There seems to be a big difference between the ISN values of corn and olive. What does INS mean anyway?

I have made what I call 'corn soap'. Olive oil is very expensive but has always been my main base. When I read that corn oil is somewhat similar, I decided to try it. I found it very easy to work with and accepted nutrients well. Trace times were what I normally experienced with olive oil. So, yes when I am on a budget corn oil is my best friend. I haven't attempted to make a 'corn castille' soap yet because I had read in another place that on its own corn oil makes a substandard soap. That is that authors opinion and I've had extreme sucess with my version of taking corn oil and building up from there with shea, cocoa butter, rosehip seed oil and all of the other 'bling oils' that I love! :p

Latest posts

Back