Difference between sweet almond oil and regular almond oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Almond" and "sweet almond" are generally the same thing -- the oil pressed from the seeds of the sweet almond tree, prunus dulcis, var. amygdalus. This oil will be sold as a carrier oil for soap making, massage, skin and hair care, and food uses. It is sold in larger containers, often plastic. It has a very mild odor.

Be aware there is also a "bitter almond" oil. It is an essential oil pressed from the seeds of the bitter almond tree, prunus dulcis, var. amara. It is used as a fragrance, so obviously it has a strong odor. This product will be sold in small quantities and is usually packaged in glass -- bitter almond EO will dissolve many plastics.

If you're not absolutely sure, I'd ask the seller.

Last edited:
I started out using regular almond oil from the grocery store and it works the same as sweet almond oil, the latter being cheaper (here, anyway).

Awesome! So I can substitute it equally? I'm wanting to do my first batch and the only sweet almond oils in my area are in small quantities for not too cheap haha. It's cheaper to buy the almond oil until I can get my recipe how I like and start ordering stuff online. :)

Kate

I ordered my fragrance oils from Natures Garden .. they have 2oz sample specials very cheap so I was able to sample 12 different scents .. one was the almond scent and I love it! This way I know what I like and don't and didn't spend too much money on what I don't. Just wanted to put that out there for when you do decide to start ordering on line. :idea:

Latest posts

Back