Curing the Soap to Retain Scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want soap that holds its fragrance. I hate that it evaporates! Is there a good way to cure it so that the water evaporates and the EO or FO does not? Maybe by regulating the temperature/air flow or both? Please advise.

I have found that it all depends on the F.O. and the supplier. Some stick and some don't. Check out the Scent Review Board they have great info there. I have soaps that still smell great after 3 years. If a scent doesn't stick at least a year I drop it. Sometimes it just takes a lot of testing to find which ones work for your formula and your methods. Hang in there.

I cure mine in open air for 4 weeks, then store the batch together in a large cello (not Ziploc! will lose scent) bag or a Rubbermaid box with lid. It should keep scent for several years that way. I have 6 year old bars that still smell great.

Can someone provide an example of a "large cello bag?"...maybe a link. I too am having issues with scent sticking. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Soap Making mobile app

Hello Michael! Different factors can affect if fragrances 'stick' in the soap. Like everyone has listed before like the quality of the fragrance, your usage rate, if you add what is called an anchor scent to 'hold' a fragrance better (like adding some Litsea EO to help hold a citrus scent) can explain why some fragrances lose their aroma. Sometimes scents will evaporate off the surface of soap but are very strong when the soap is used. One last factor (that I can think of right now) is that your nose becomes adapted to the fragrances. Your sense of smell can become less sensitive to the fragrances you use over time. Just by leaving your soap cure in the open air your nose becomes less sensitive to smell those scents. I have this happen all the time. When people visit they can be overwhelmed by the differing fragrances and how strong they are. As for confused me - sorry, can't smell much! :lol:

When curing soap I try to dry them in a moderate humidity, cool environment. My basement has this and it works out wonderfully - but I try to soap more in the fall, winter and early spring when the furnace is working. Here in the summer the soap can sweat more (even with central air) so I plan to soap much less.

Back