Curing Racks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning on putting parchment paper on before putting the soap on
I've been reading a lot of people saying recently that the ions can still migrate through a layer of paper and that something more substantial is needed. It does seem easier to just use something that doesn't risk harming the soap to start with.

Has anyone tried these from Amazon? I am limited on curing space. Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C6NJHR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_W1V29WWQGZ9SQGRYZMV2
I have something similar that is plastic coated, that I use. I also add plastic needle-point mesh to add an additional layer to keep the soap off of the racks. Even the plastic coating will deteriorate over time, leaving bare metal. So if you can find some plastic needle-point mesh, I encourage you to use it under all your curing soaps. I pick it up cheap in a variety of places, including at thrift stores, whenever I see it for a good price.

What do you recommend other than metal racks?

I use a variety of things for curing my soaps, most of which are free or low cost from thrift stores:
cardboard box-tops or cut down cardboard boxes
plastic serving trays
plastic drink trays
plastic coated cooling racks

I line them all with plastic mesh to lift the soap up off the tray/rack & give a little more room on the bottom for air-flow, which also means I don't have to turn the soap as much, if at all, while curing.

For stacking, the cardboard box-tops/cut-down boxes are easily stacked atop each other in a sort of kitty-corner way. Same for the plastic trays. The soda-pop drink trays that I have are nice for stacking as they are made to be stackable on top of each other. I've found a few of these over the years at thrift stores.

Last edited:
What do you recommend other than metal racks?

Hubby bought me several heavy duty 'cookie sheets' from the local restaurant store. I line them with a sheet of freezer paper, folded in half wax side out and on top of that, that webby shelf liner stuff. Once we get the garage cleaned out this summer, I will buy a regular rack for them to slide into.

Some of the only DOS I've ever had was from curing on "stainless" cookie cooling racks. The problem with so-called "stainless" racks, especially the smaller ones made for cookies, is that they are really just coated with stainless. Underneath is cheaper metal. Over time, as the wire bends, get knicked, is scrubbed, etc., the stainless coating gets thinner and thinner, or even flakes off. Then your soap will be exposed to the metals underneath the stainless, and these will cause DOS. So if you want to use inexpensive stainless racks, be sure to put something underneath the soap.

I have found these work very well. I found them on Marketplace on Facebook.

Attachments

• soap racks.jpg
    soap racks.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back