Curdled CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labdanum

Reaction score
My batch was going really well till I added the EOs. And in the eo there was also some fragrance oil (which I’ve never used before). Anyways, everything started to separate from a nice creamy texture to curdled parts, it’s as if I had put magic baking powder into acid. It was reacting a lot. After I stuck this mess into the forms it continued to enlarge and started leaving the boundary of the cavity. So weird! I will know if this disaster solidified under the covers, I need to wait a few more hours. I will stick to only pure EOs from now on.

What you had was ricing with the old volcano. Not every FO will cause this. Few do. But be sure to read the reviews of whatever FO it is before buying. And be sure it is CP safe. Some EOs will also do this. Again, read the reviews. Once a batch starts ricing, you need to stick blend until it re-mixes. And I have often found that things that rice will volcano. I keep a sink with an inch of ice water in it every time I try new fragrances. And I always make them in silicone molds so they will survive the dunk in ice water.

Here is a good thread on the subject: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/a-picture-of-ricing-volcanos-separating-overheating.52097/

Hi Susie, thanks for your message!!! Do you know any EOs that could have caused this volcanic action? You might be right that not necessarily the FO did this.

Latest posts

Back