Crumbly around the edges soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianne70

Reaction score
So...ever had one of those weeks? :sad: Today I cut up a soap I made yesterday (one that I have made before) and it is crumbly around the edges. My recipe is normal 25% Palm, 25% Coconut and 50% Olive. I am almost 100% sure that I have measured everything properly. I did not discount the water, and I insulated the soap, but am unsure as to whether it went through full gel or not. The soap is also super white.....I did use TD, but didn't think I used that much, that it would make it that white. Any suggestions as to what may have happened?

I've had that happen and it makes me totally crazy. Super hard soap and it chips.... Can't explain what happened though - sorry...

I've had that happen when I unmoulded to early. Could it be our weather of late ?

Could be the weather....was pretty **** hot yesterday.....and today! :) How long before I can do the lick test? and if it is zappy, will it stay that way? Never had a zappy soap, so don't know!! :) Didn't unmould any earlier then normal...in fact if anything it was a bit later....normally I can't wait to see my soap and unmold it as soon as I can!! :)

An excessive amount of TD can make your soap crumbly.

If it didn't gel, I'd wait up to a week before attempting the zap test.

I just had that happen the other day. I used too much TD, even though it was less than the suppliers recommendation.

Maybe I did use too much.....I have just done the premixing thing and have got some in a jar in olive oil......maybe I mis judged it? Anyway I will be so bummed if this soap is ruined as I nailed everything else.....the colours are exactly like I wanted them and the swirls are excellent if I must say so myself:wink: If it doesn't zap me in about a weeks time, will I still be able to sell it with the crumbly edges do you think? :)

The times (2) that it has happened to me there wasn't any TD involved. One of them was a 100% CO recipe. Made me crazy!

Back