Crisco

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMee

Reaction score
I've been reading a book called Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson. She has a soap recipe using a very high percentage of crisco, like 66%. Since crisco is high in linoleic acid, what is the likelihood of getting DOS in my soap? Because the ingredient is crisco, will the soybean oil in it behave differently than if I just used liquid soybean oil due to the processing aspect of making crisco?

I don't know how new the copyright date is for Watson's book. If it isn't a recent copyright date, the formula for Crisco may have changed to one using more palm oil.

The ingredient list on my can says...
Soybean oil
Fully hydrogenated palm oil
Palm oil
Mono and diglycerides
TBHQ and citric acid (antioxidants)

I’m reading the kindle version and it looks like the copyright is 2013. The paperback version looks to be a 2007 copyright.

I have used Crisco in my soap without a DOS problem; but I used my own recipe and not one from Watson's book. I would probably only use about 30% Crisco.

Thank you lsg! I strongly suspect you are correct. :) I’ll probably do a comparison and report back my findings, just cause I’m a bit of a curious cat.

I used crisco when I first started. I did get a lot of dos but it took around a year.
I prefer the walmart brand shortening with tallow. Its a mix of tallow and palm, makes nice soap.
Just make sure its the can with the fried chicken picture.

Back