Cranberry butter??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowjack

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a brand new member and novice soap maker, I love it. I'm having a little trouble with finding a lye calculator that incorporates cranberry butter. I googled "cranberry butter sap value" and came up with a bunch of nothing on the butter itself (for soap making that is). It's supposed to be very good as an antioxidant and as a source of vitamins as well as a few other reasons that led me to buying some that I now cant use with my favorite lye calculator (MMS).
Does anyone know its sap value or better yet, a close butter/oil to substitute for it on the lye calculator. It looks like palm oil, basically.
So can someone help me out here please?
Maybe as a follow up question someone could also add in why some of the oil's/butters in the MMS calculator are printed in bold text and some are non-bold. I assume that the non-bold ones are less desirable but thats just an assumption. Anyways thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the board and the world of soapmaking! I've been bored today :lol: so I've been searching around trying to find anything about cranberry butter.

You're right, a whole lotta nothin is pretty much it! Did you buy this from Heavenly bodies and bath? I ordered a few oils to try from her and she's pretty good at getting back quick with questions. You might want to try and email who you bought it from and ask them what they know about soaping with it. Or even email a supplier (like MMS) and see if they know if cranberry butter would have a similar or same sap value as their cranberry seed oil.

I'm curious now to know what you find out so if they are able to tell you anything I'd love to know the answer :D

Edit: on the lye calculator at MMS-- all I see on the oils and butters is some have clickable links to the products they sale. The others that aren't clickable they don't sell. HTH

Thanks for the kindness and yep I bought them from heavenly bodies, but unfortunatley she hasnt responded to me as of yet. But I'm still looking cuzz she cant be the only person selling it and if its so "new" then why isnt it being at least mentioned somewhere online? Like how emu oil wasnt all too unheard of not too long ago and now some people swear by it and almost all the lye calculators are incorporating it (emu). So whats the deal I wonder?
The person that I got them from online at heavenly bodies was super nice and just bent over backwards to make up for a shipping oversight on her part. I just hope she knows the sap value or an equivilant so I can use this stuff SOON. It's like a 1/2 lb of mango butter sitting in your stockpiled oils, you just want to make some soap with that stuff asap.
Do you hear me or am I alone and wierd?

lowjack said:
Do you hear me or am I alone and wierd?

:lol: Definitely not alone! When I first got my big ol bag of shea butter from Columbus I had to soap right then and there! Does your container have a manufacturers name on it? Or how about emailing one of the big suppliers to see if they know the difference in sap values from cranberry oil to cranberry butter?

If you can't get an answer or just have to have to do it right now lol why not Hot process a batch and just add 3-5% or so in after the cook? Makes me wonder though if you could drop the lye discount in your calculator and then add the butter at 5% to make up for it....hmm gonna have to ask that now :lol:

lowjack said:
Hi there, I'm a brand new member and novice soap maker, I love it. I'm having a little trouble with finding a lye calculator that incorporates cranberry butter. I googled "cranberry butter sap value" and came up with a bunch of nothing on the butter itself (for soap making that is). It's supposed to be very good as an antioxidant and as a source of vitamins as well as a few other reasons that led me to buying some that I now cant use with my favorite lye calculator (MMS).
Does anyone know its sap value or better yet, a close butter/oil to substitute for it on the lye calculator. It looks like palm oil, basically.
So can someone help me out here please?
Maybe as a follow up question someone could also add in why some of the oil's/butters in the MMS calculator are printed in bold text and some are non-bold. I assume that the non-bold ones are less desirable but thats just an assumption. Anyways thanks,
Jeremy

I thinik I would use it at a rate of 1-2 Tbsp at trace per pound of oils

She doesnt know either and says to maybe use it as a superfat and that maybe coconut is a close sap value substitute.
I'm gonna just use it as a SF since its expensive enough to keep around (if its any good).

Latest posts

Back