CPOP vs CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjulz

Reaction score
Here is a batch of rhubarb scented soap that I split. The first half (pic 1) went in the oven at 170 for one hour then sat over night. The second half (pic 2) just sat on the table with a cardboard box over it. The CPOP has a much more solid smooth creamy look overall. I think it wins. The room temp one has a bit of that clear veined thing going on
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1384243774.596904.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1384243815.629371.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

They are both beautiful! I have never tried CPOP, but you have got me interested now.

What sort of molds do you use? I know that my wooden molds have some wood glue holding them together, and I'm worried that the heat will loosen the glue.

I love CPOP, but don't do it if your mold is glued together! The glue will melt and the mold will come apart...in the oven...while the soap is still liquid! I just had a problem with that and the soap wound up all over the bottom of oven. It would have been such a nice batch, too.

Beautiful! Like the CPOP best. How did you do that top? It's really nice? My stuff is still a bit too runny when I put it in the mold to hold something like that.

Odd, I had always thought CPOP made the colors pop more, not less. Perhaps a view of the cut soap, not the outer surface, would show that difference.

Anerlin, that is horrible! What a mess .
I have used several wood molds over the years and not had any problems so they must not have been glued. Now I'm using the 5 lb wood from brambleberry with the thin silicone liner

Odd, I had always thought CPOP made the colors pop more, not less. Perhaps a view of the cut soap, not the outer surface, would show that difference.

I cut the logs in half, so you are seeing the cut surface. I thought it was supposed to make the color pop too.

Anerlin, that is horrible! What a mess .
I have used several wood molds over the years and not had any problems so they must not have been glued. Now I'm using the 5 lb wood from brambleberry with the thin silicone liner

What do you think of this mold combo? I hate mine, quite honestly. For me, it's not quite tall enough, could use 1/2 inch less wide and half an inch taller. My liner needs taping or it flops all over the place. I really want to like it, but have resorted to paper-lining my old reliable wood molds instead. Hoping you have tips to using this one! But it does hold up fine in the oven for CPOP :)

Paillo, I wouldn't mind it being a bit taller also. The floppy bit is sometimes a problem for me when I'm pouring, so I will stick a piece of tape on the long sides, but can then pull the tape off as soon as I have some soap in there. Bummer that they aren't working for you

"...I thought it was supposed to make the color pop too...."

And maybe for some colors, CPOP does do that. But obviously not for your particular soap and the colors you used. Even so, I like 'em both, regardless of the differences -- nice job on the design!

Ah, the pleasures of learning stuff on the internet -- someone's opinion can all too quickly take on the ring of gospel truth. :???:

I liked CPOP for a while but then had several batches overheat and separate, so I quit doing it and now put my soaps in the fridge. I use goat milk though.

I have never made soap. I'm still getting supplies. I have a gas oven and it runs about 80 all the time because of the pilot light. Would I just make soap the normal Cold Process way and then let it set in the oven overnight? I have a wooden mold my husband made.
Thanks,
Susie in cold, snowy northern NY

Oh boy, never thought about the glue in my wooden molds softening. I do have a bunch of nails in them, and have not had a problem so far. I just looked at them and they appear fine. Thanks for the warning!

Back