CP vs. HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariflo

Reaction score
It's obvious that we all have personal preferences when it comes to how we make our soap :) Some make mostly HP while other prefer CP. But why is this so? Why do you prefer CP or HP?

I tend to make mostly HP. In my experience I had 3 batches that developed DOS and they were all CP, never happened to the HP ones even though the recipe was the same and the storage and additives were identical. Now this is only my experience and I would love it if you could share yours. I might just as well be imagining it and blaming it on the CP without any sound reason ...
I also noticed that the "raw soap" smell (I am not talking about rancidity or specific oil smell) is almost nonexistent in my HP compared to my CP made from the same recipe and with the same additives.
Also, the colors do not "morph" as much in the HP, maybe because once it's cooked, there isn't much else left to "happen" chemically inside the soap.
When I want intricate swirls or when I want to use detailed cavity molds then I do CP and pour at very thin trace.

So, if you don't mind sharing, which do you prefer and why from the point of view of soap quality? What comes out best for you when you use one method or the other?
What have you noticed about DOS and shelf life of the soap made using the two different methods?

(sorry if there are previous posts on this particular topic ... :oops: )

I use the RTCP method and I absolutely love it. there is not waiting for oil and lyes to reach a particular degree or no soap volcanos if the soap is too hot. In recent weeks, I have been doing RTCP and then putting it in a preheated oven at 170 degrees and then shutting the oven off and leaving it overnight and I can actually unmold within 12 hours instead of my normal 24.

Just from reading and watch tutorials on the internet, HP seems like alot of work and I hear people don't always like the way the soap looks originally. Since I have not tried the process, I really can't comment on how well I like it. To me it seems like alot of "babysitting" the soap and I am way to impatient for that!

I do both, but I love doing CP instead of HP. I only do HP if I have to, such as when I plan on using one of my ornery FOs that doesn't take kindly to CP (which happens with only a few of my FOs), or when it's an unexpected emergency and I'm trying to save a seizing soap (rare, but it happens).

For me, I like CP much better because....

#1: It doesn't take me as much time
#2: My soap comes out looking very smooth and streamlined
#3: I can use much less water so there is no warping and only minimum shrinkage
#4: I can do more intricate and varied swirls
#5: I can pour much more smoothly
#6: Much less waste when it comes to doing any final touch-ups and/or beveling.

I've been making soap since 2006 (about 98% of it CP) and have gotten DOS only once. It was one of my earliest batches and it was made with canola oil...... and it was superfatted at a whopping 25% or something like that (accidentally- not on purpose). :lol:

I'm not saying that I think doing HP is a fate worse than death or anything- it's a great method and it suits many soapers just fine- it's just that CP comes out so much better looking for me with much less work and time expended, apart from the time spent curing, that is, but then again, my HP benefits from a 4 week cure, too, so that's really neither here nor there when all is said and done.

When I do HP, I like to use the OHP method. I do it in a big soup pot in the oven and I add sodium lactate and sugar to it to make things come out more smoothly. I've even got a neat swirling technique that I use for multiple colored swirls and I have gotten my HP to look fairly close to CP, but it takes extra fussy tricks, involves more time, causes more waste when it comes to prettifying it up (although I do recycle my 'waste' as soap confetti), and my HP soaps still get a bit warpy over time. They do perform well, though. My CP never warps not matter how old it is and performs just as well.

A point in favor of HP is the anti-morphing effect it can have on FOs, but there are also tons of FOs that stay true in CP. In my own experience with the FOs that I use, I've found morphing to be a rare thing in my CP, or just a temporary thing (the true scent comes back during cure). FO review boards are very handy in weeding out those potential ornery FOs. :)

Another point in favor is the anti-morphing effect on certain colorants, but there are ways of working around that in CP (or even using it to your advantage). There's a learning curve involved, but once it's learned (and written down in your notes! :) ) it just becomes second nature.

The 'raw soap' smell that you mentioned (I think know what you mean), lasts for only a short time in my CP. It goes completely away during cure.

IrishLass :)

I prefer CP soap most of the time. I like the smoother, less lumpy look. The only time I HP is when I use essential oils, like I do for my kitchen soap. I actually like the more rustic look for the kitchen soap as well.

I prefer the smell of CP once it is cured. I like CP better also because i can texture the tops. I like HP because I can add luxury oils at the end of cook and because less fragrance can be used. I don't like rushing at the end of HPing to get the blasted stuff into the mould. I have never tried swirling it because I have enough trouble with it as it is. :lol:

Bubbles Galore said:
I prefer the smell of CP once it is cured. I like CP better also because i can texture the tops. I like HP because I can add luxury oils at the end of cook and because less fragrance can be used. I don't like rushing at the end of HPing to get the blasted stuff into the mould. I have never tried swirling it because I have enough trouble with it as it is. :lol:

I can't even imagine swirling HP soap!

Latest posts

Back