CP & Syndet Shampoo Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am now working on my new CP & Syndet Shampoo Bars. I have read all of the pros and cons of both.

Does anyone else sell (or make) either type shampoo bars that can offer any input or advice?

Don't sell or make but have used. Syndet shampoo bars are amazing and are all I ever want to use anymore. Couldn't/wouldn't wash my hair with a cp bar ever, gross.

PrairieCraft said:
Don't sell or make but have used. Syndet shampoo bars are amazing and are all I ever want to use anymore. Couldn't/wouldn't wash my hair with a cp bar ever, gross.

Good feedback. Thank you. Now tell me why you feel CP bars are gross.

because true soap has a high pH, which is very harsh on hair. it lifts the scales on the hair's cuticles leaving it rough, tangled, and weak - and if you have hard water you can add soap scum to the situation - icky sticky.

some can get away with using soap on their hair, but most cannot, even with an acid rinse.

carebear said:
because true soap has a high pH, which is very harsh on hair. it lifts the scales on the hair's cuticles leaving it rough, tangled, and weak - and if you have hard water you can add soap scum to the situation - icky sticky.

some can get away with using soap on their hair, but most cannot, even with an acid rinse.

I understand about the pH issue and the potential for soap scum but what if those two issue could be addressed with a hybrid bar?

Depends on whether or not you can formulate a bar with a lower pH. I cannot say if that is something you can figure out.

The soap scum issue can be managed at least somewhat by including a chelating agent in your formula.

PrairieCraft said:

I have made both. I tried a number of CP bars including a few recipes of my own and they made my hair feel like dirty straw. Love my syndet bars. I started with Swift's hair care products e-book (the best money you will ever spend) and have tweaked from there.

I wouldn't know where to begin WRT a hybrid bar.

judymoody said:
PrairieCraft said:

I have made both. I tried a number of CP bars including a few recipes of my own and they made my hair feel like dirty straw. Love my syndet bars. I started with Swift's hair care products e-book (the best money you will ever spend) and have tweaked from there.

I wouldn't know where to begin WRT a hybrid bar.

I have Swift's formula's also, in addition to a couple of others. What I am hoping to formulate is a CP bar, with a few synthetic additives, to counter the negative/harsh effects of all natural CP on hair. Hence the hybrid.

I always add 1 tempered egg yolk PPO and HP them they work better for me like that. My hair is about 2 inches past my elbows and my CP poo bars detangle my hair better than anything else. I still use a tiny bit of conditioner, Ive always wanted to do a beer shampoo bar. However I alternate poo bars and reg shampoo every 2 days. My hair is soooo silky and shiny not straw like at all everyones different though!

I have been using my cp shampoo bars for a few weeks now. At first, it wasn't good. At all. But now my hair has adjusted and I love it! I always do a vinegar rinse afterwards and my hair is silky and soft. I'm hooked!
I switched to cp shampoo trying to simplify my life (and my bath cabinet LOL), so I didn't really want to start making syndet bars :roll:

lovelysuds - I know a lot of people swear by adding eggs to their hair. It's the protein that's so beneficial. I would be leery about adding proteins without adding a preservative though (micro organisms = YUK!). I want my new bar to make hair soft and moisturized without the need for additional conditioner on a daily basis.

I hear good things about beer soap and I have a recipe that I want to try sometime too. Have you tried it one yet?

margarita - I also know a lot of people use the vinegar rinse too. I want my new bar to eliminate the soap scum/build-up issue and the need for a vinegar rinse.

I don't think I could figure out the chemistry to make a combo CP and syndet poo bar. I would be afraid I would blow the kitchen up or waste a bunch of ingredients on the nasty lye monster.

What are you thinking of adding to the CP soap?

AZ Soaper said:
I don't think I could figure out the chemistry to make a combo CP and syndet poo bar. I would be afraid I would blow the kitchen up or waste a bunch of ingredients on the nasty lye monster.

What are you thinking of adding to the CP soap?

I am in the middle of testing as we speak. Before I tell you what I am adding, let me make sure it will work and I do not blow the house up. :lol:

I am making several batches and adding one new ingredient at a time. This will tell me if each ingredient will work and then I can add them all together in one bar and make sure they play nice together. I'll report back soon.

carebear said:

We moved to south central ID, which has extremely hard, alkaline water. I have always used my cp bars in my hair. When I got a new hairdresser, she washed my hair and said, "Your hair is CLEAN!" I said something about her just washing it. No, even after washing people's hair, if they use a lot of gunk, it's not sparkling clean. My hair was really clean. So I told her what I used and now have a customer for my goat milk cp soaps! She has referred others to me for my wonderful soaps! I use lard in most all of my soaps and use 5% superfat. My hair is in wonderful condition for just using my cp bar soap on it. The last perm/cut I got held for 10 weeks (usually does only 8 weeks) and sprang back once cut. My beautician would like to do experiment on my hair, but I'm almost afraid I'd look weird or something at my age, so am sticking to what I have now. ;)

I might not have begun making soaps after our move in Nov '08 as my Traumatic Brain Injured husband is now having episodes of dementia and it's tough being a caregiver. But soaping gives me pleasure and calms my mental state. When people smell my soaps and feel my soft hair and some do achieve that with my cp soaps, it makes me happy.
IDLaura

I make a HP soap with ACV powder for my hair.
I posted some more info about it here http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25746 (this is a POC batch and I didn't give too much thought to the look of the soap though)
It works really well for me. If/when you start using soap for your hair you should give it some time to adjust to the soap though.
I really like this recipe and it works really well for me and for my bf.
:)

I am in the middle of testing as we speak. Before I tell you what I am adding, let me make sure it will work and I do not blow the house up. :lol:

I am making several batches and adding one new ingredient at a time. This will tell me if each ingredient will work and then I can add them all together in one bar and make sure they play nice together. I'll report back soon.
Just wondering if you're still around. I was thinking about trying something like this. How did yours turn out?

Latest posts

Back