Cp and Essential Oils...Your input would be great!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even like Essential Oils. HUGE FO fan here... I'm experimenting. Would hate experimenting with expensive stuff....

Aroma Alternatives, the Private Label Co? No way. I do my work myself.

I'm getting rather discontent with FOs. I haven't yet had an EO accelerate like so many of my FOs do. I don't like the idea of not knowing what carrier oil the FOs use.

I'm thinking that blending my own EOs is the way to go, and I've been accumulating a few to play with, some of the more inexpensive ones.

There are a few FOs that I like though, including the WSP Lemon Lavender that you recommended Lane. :)

Lovehound said:
I'm getting rather discontent with FOs. I haven't yet had an EO accelerate like so many of my FOs do. I don't like the idea of not knowing what carrier oil the FOs use.

I'm thinking that blending my own EOs is the way to go, and I've been accumulating a few to play with, some of the more inexpensive ones.

There are a few FOs that I like though, including the WSP Lemon Lavender that you recommended Lane. :)
I spent YEARS perfecting my FO line up. :lol: I have yet to make a batch of CP with my WSP EO's , but I'm excited to give them a try! I figure, even if these EO's aren't as PURE as they could or should be, they are still a step up from driving to wal-mart and buying a detergent bar of soap. :wink: It's the baby steps, right. :D

Lane said:
I spent YEARS perfecting my FO line up. :lol: I have yet to make a batch of CP with my WSP EO's , but I'm excited to give them a try! I figure, even if these EO's aren't as PURE as they could or should be, they are still a step up from driving to wal-mart and buying a detergent bar of soap. :wink: It's the baby steps, right. :D

definately !! the only thing I would say to beware of is, these 'EO' blends from WSSP might have some of the traditional issues that FOs have, so keep that in mind ...if one of these seizes on you, it doesn't necessarily mean a pure EO will ...I have not soaped any of these either so I cannot say for sure - but I can say that in a body wash formula, they did not react like EOs do & this was one of clues to me, as to the fact that these are not 100% EO ...but definately a great starting point!

Hmmm... I worked them in a body wash yesterday. After a day of settling, the formulas are clear and smell great. Is that not how it should be? Do EOs react differently in gels and washes? :?

it's kinda funny ...is soaps, EOs seem to be more reliable but in body washes, especially those thickened with PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate ( a common trade name is CroThix), they can be difficult/unpredictable - either thickening or thinning the product ...but sometimes it's just right too ...there is no saying for sure w/any EO until you try it. The way an EO performs however should be consistant for that EO, once you know how it reacts ...sounds like you're doing good!!

I have only used FO's once. I prefer EO's because I feel so strongly about non-toxic products. I will not use somthing synthetic, unless it is absolutely necessary. And as far as the qualities of EO's, yes, I would really becareful on what you think you are purchasing. If they are super cheap, when most other sites are selling them (like rose, jasmine, etc) at much higher prices...most likely you are not getting a pure EO or the quality worth using in your soaps. We live on a pretty low income. But when it comes to soaps that my family uses on their skin and those that I sell to customers (who put their trust in me)...quality is much more important to me than price. Now, there are some EO's that I just simply can't buy on a whim. :0) But when I have a little money to restock...I always buy from one particular EO supplier (Mountain Rose Herbs)...who offers certified-organic, high quality EO's. To me, the risk, using FO's on myself, and those that use my soaps...just isn't worth it. In my opinion (as that is all the above is) EO's make for a higher-quality soap and is (to me anyway) more appealing when I am shopping for a bath product.

I hope you find what you need to accomplish your goal! No matter what happens or mistakes you made...it's a learning process. Thus, I would never call anything a complete failure. Just remember that, when it gets frustrating! :0)

Back