confused about GM soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreapima2

Reaction score
I have only made gm soap once and lost the recipe, but love using the soap I made.

I found a gm recipe on these forums and tweeked it a bit according to what I have on hand and ran it thru soap calc.
I plan on using GM that I bought in dairy case of grocery store & it's pasteurized (don't know if this makes a difference). Soap calc doesn't have a space to use gm, only milk fat bovine. so would this be right?

Castor Oil 6.15%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 24.62%
Olive Oil 24.62 %
Palm Oil 18.46%
Milk Fat, any bovine 26.15%

Water 12.35 oz.
Lye - NaOH 4.782 oz

BUT my other question is this: If the soap calc is saying
water 12.35 oz and lye 4.782 oz
yet I read to add frozen/slushy gm with lye. Would I sub the water for the GM altogether, or only partially?
OR would I mix lye/water according to the soap calc and add the GM right after mixing the lye water to oils (to help from scorching)?

Would it be ok to use a 50/50 masterbatch?
Or do a fresh batch of lye/water/gm for this batch only?

I substituted all the water for the GM, but I froze the GM. Added the lye to the frozen (in ice cube tray) GM. Takes a while to mix and dissolve, so be patient.

Do not use the dairy fat function in soap calc, as what you have is milk, not pure fat. The extra fat from the milk will be part of your superfat. You can look up the GM label to decide how many extra grams of fat you are adding to your soap. When I did mine it came out to an extra 13 g fat, not that much. This makes my superfatting from 6% to about 7.5%.

Ditto what Green Soap said. Don't use the milk fat function on SoapCalc, i.e.-don't calculate the goat milk as part of your oil amount. Instead, just use the goat milk in place of your water amount.

I use the pasteurized goat milk from the refrigerated dairy case of my grocery store, too. It soaps great.

IrishLass :)

There is 7 grams of total fat in gm I am using.

Would I add the extra .25 oz of fat perhaps under OO to get a more accurate reading with soap calc?

I need to have 32 ounce for my mold total

So now I tweeked it again, added a bit more of each oil since I took out the milk fat, and used the gm milk fat under OO and now the soap cal decreased the lye does that sound about right?

Castor Oil 9.3 %
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 29.46 %
Olive Oil 31.78 %
Palm Oil 29.46%
Water 12.255 oz
Lye - NaOH 4.619 oz

the extra 7 grams just means it is and extra 7 grams superfatted. you dont need to calculate it in

the amount of fat in the milk is negligible in the whole of your soap batch - just ignore it in your calculations.

I did everything green soap said to do it this recipe. My problem was that when I mixed the lye with the GM it turned an ugly brown color and smelled like hair color with a very strong ammonia content. It was also very clumpy.

When I mixed with the oils, the batch turned a funky brownish color. I added lavender f/o (BCN) to the oils before the GM.

Originally my plan was to make white GM with a purple swirl. Even when I mixed the batch to the ultramarine violet TKB color, it turned the color a blackish color instead of purple, probably because the batch was brown.

I want white bars, and added a bit of TD to the batch. Hopefully it will help.

I read before that some ppl that make GM soap mix in the GM at or around trace. How would you do this when you need the GM in place of the water for the lye solution?

What if I were to try using powdered GM, then would I still add the lye water (masterbatch) and then after mixing to the oils add the powdered GM like you would add ground oatmeal to an O.M.H. batch?

I really want to make nice looking (WHITE) GM soap. I REALLY love GM soap and the feel of it on skin after using it.

???? all I can figure is that different GMs might have different amounts of sugar? I stir the lye and GM ice cubes while averting my eyes and do it under a hood. It worked for me the first time I did it. I got a creamy light tan color, not white. More like oatmeal color. On the next GM batch I decided to color it so I added indigo water to the goat milk, this caused a little more heating, but it still came out OK.

Another method is to use dried GM milk and add at trace. Some folks use half the water in the soap recipe to dissolve the lye, and add the other half as concentrated goat milk at trace. I have not used either method since the iced goat milk worked so well for me, so I hope I am describing this correctly.

Just my input here, but I think the reason why your GM went to an ugly brown is that you may have burnt the milk. The foul smell is common.

When I make GM, I always make sure that the temperature stays at 75C. when mixing my lye and frozen GM. This way my GM turns out with a light brown color.

I hope this helps a bit.

Michelle

PreciousSoaps said:
Just my input here, but I think the reason why your GM went to an ugly brown is that you may have burnt the milk. The foul smell is common.

When I make GM, I always make sure that the temperature stays at 75C. when mixing my lye and frozen GM. This way my GM turns out with a light brown color.

I hope this helps a bit.

Michelle

When I mixed the lye into the frozen GM it turned tannish-brown right away it heated up to approximately 150 degrees all on it's own. I had to wait for it to cool down to just under 100 degrees to add to oils.

I use goats milk all the time. I use the split method--or 50/50. I buy goats milk in a can ( the kind you have to add a can of water to a can of milk). If a recipe requires16 oz of liquid I use 8 oz of water to mix with my lye, the other 8 oz required is the goats milk that I measure and freeze till it's slushy or at least really really freezie cold. I add the slushy goats milk after I have mixed the lye/water and oils together well. It does smell funky for a little while. Just the nature of it. Here is a picture of one I made this week.
DSCN2887.jpg

green soap said:
???? all I can figure is that different GMs might have different amounts of sugar? I stir the lye and GM ice cubes while averting my eyes and do it under a hood. It worked for me the first time I did it. I got a creamy light tan color, not white. More like oatmeal color. On the next GM batch I decided to color it so I added indigo water to the goat milk, this caused a little more heating, but it still came out OK.

Another method is to use dried GM milk and add at trace. Some folks use half the water in the soap recipe to dissolve the lye, and add the other half as concentrated goat milk at trace. I have not used either method since the iced goat milk worked so well for me, so I hope I am describing this correctly.

I thought about dry GM, as my first batch also turn brown, and instead I added cocoa powder and chocolate brownie f/o. It def turned out great! I wish I didn't lose that recipe :(

You said If I were to add powdered GM at trace to add it with remaining water at trace, but how much would powdered GM would I use?

Would I just follow direction according to the package, like they have on powdered cows milk to make a pitcher of milk?

falldowngobump said:
I use goats milk all the time. I use the split method--or 50/50. I buy goats milk in a can ( the kind you have to add a can of water to a can of milk). If a recipe requires16 oz of liquid I use 8 oz of water to mix with my lye, the other 8 oz required is the goats milk that I measure and freeze till it's slushy or at least really really freezie cold. I add the slushy goats milk after I have mixed the lye/water and oils together well. It does smell funky for a little while. Just the nature of it. Here is a picture of one I made this week.
DSCN2887.jpg

Those are wonderful looking soaps.
My problem is that I live in a rural area and to find GM is difficult. My choices are in the dairy case, or a can of Evaporated GM. (which the evaporated gm also turns funky brown color)

Is it just impossible to get white GM soap?

When I put the lye into the frozen GM cubes it actually took a while to dissolve, i had to help it by stirring it some. The temperature did not go above 80 F and the lye GM mix ended up a pale yellow. I don't know why your experience was different. More sugar in your GM maybe?

In your situation I would use an ice bath around the frozen goat milk and lye. The larger the ice bath the more it will cool your solution.

Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back