Confused about equipment!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stainless steel bowls - you want depth, not breadth, in your containers, b/c stuff CAN splash out. I would not recommend a shallow bowl of any type. Test your stainless steel with a magnet. If the magnet doesn't stick - it's not stainless. I use a set of cheapo stainless pots I got from Fred's Pharmacy. They aren't good for cooking - the bottom is so thin that any burns. They are only good for boiling water for pasta - or soaping!

The little paint buckets are nice - get the lids!

The Norpro cups - there are cheaper places online. I got mine for about $3 each from the same place I got my temp gun.

http://www.midlandhardware.com/166982.html

Temp gun - totally worth it to me for several reasons.
1) I need a thermometer b/c without one I get impatient and soap too hot.
2) The temp gun doesn't vanish into the drawer of random kitchen crap
3) move from lye water to oil without needed to wipe down
4) faster
5) Great for lotions - if you decide to make lotion, some preservatives are deactivated at certain temps so you want to be very certain of your temperatures.

Scale - I think you may want to find a bigger/broader one - because I think your container might make it hard for you to see the read out.

I've seen others (on other threads) suggest lids for the paint buckets. Can you tell me why? If I'm mixing stuff, why do I need a lid? Please enlighten me! lol

Thanks for the link! It's like half the price! :O

I've seen others (on other threads) suggest lids for the paint buckets. Can you tell me why? If I'm mixing stuff, why do I need a lid? Please enlighten me! lol

Thanks for the link! It's like half the price! :O

I like having lids so I can pre measure out a batch of oils and then cover it so when I am ready to make soap I can just pop it into the microwave (w/o the lid) and go.

Regarding the scale that you linked to - it runs on batteries only. That can be a problem when it runs out of batteries or goes into auto sleep mode and you lose your place while adding things. I really appreciate that I can plug my KD800 in and turn auto sleep off, but I know thats an option on other scales.

Yes on paint buckets - but I have never had the need for a lid.

Also, you know whats handy? A cheap plastic tray or two to keep splashes and spills in check and make clean up easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the scale that you linked to - it runs on batteries only. That can be a problem when it runs out of batteries or goes into auto sleep mode and you lose your place while adding things. I really appreciate that I can plug my KD800 in and turn auto sleep off, but I know thats an option on other scales.

Yes on paint buckets - but I have never had the need for a lid.

Also, you know whats handy? A cheap plastic tray or two to keep splashes and spills in check and make clean up easy.

I have this scale -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SVNEWA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It comes with the AC adapter and measures to in .1 of a gram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stainless steel bowls - you want depth, not breadth, in your containers, b/c stuff CAN splash out. I would not recommend a shallow bowl of any type. .

Exactly why I like pots, with their straight up and down sides, instead of sloping ones, like in bowls.

Just a word on lids on lye containers. I soap at room temp, so often I will make my lye solution the night before soaping. I leave it at the back of the stove. Of course I put a lid on it, but I learned early on to let the lye cool first, so that there would be no condensation on the lid when I took it off, and possibly drip lye unknowingly as I removed it. If you don't live alone, like me, it's also important to make sure your container is labeled in a way that others can tell it's dangerous, and of course if you have children or pets, make sure it's completely out of their reach. And as George said, with cats, that's not so easy! :)

Regarding thermometers

As a newbie, I do suggest using for your first batches, so you get an idea of temps. Lye gets REALLY hot when you add the lye to the water...and can take a bit to cool it down ( I use a water/ice bath to speed it along )

For my Lye thermometer, I use this. I can't remember where I got it. Hardware store I think? I use a plastic pitcher
so this fits in there great

http://www.homebrewing.org/12-Long-Stem-Dial-Thermometer_p_1325.html

For my oils, I just use a glass candy thermometer.

Look forward to hearing how you made out when you do make your first batch!
It's addicting!

You can weigh lye and additives in empty cream cheese containers/margarine tubs/gladware/etc. You get the idea. I use a lot of those small tubs. And the sides bend so you can direct batter exactly where you want it when you get to making swirls. If you don't have any, ask around, I'm sure someone close to you has plenty they can clean out of the cabinet. Just don't measure essential or fragrance oils into them. They can melt. I use one of those shot glass type measuring cups for fragrance if it is a small amount, or an empty FO bottle if a larger amount.

I don't know if I've added my two cents to this thread or not, but I I'll add one thing: have a spare mold. Humans don't always math correctly and especially while you are learning you may end up with a bit more soap batter than you were expecting (or you may decide in the moment to experiment with color/scent). A small "just in case" mold has saved me many times with the bonus of a separate tester for me if I had marked a batch for gifting.

I'll also add that my early batches were small enough I could measure my NaOH and water into 12oz disposable cups. It's not necessarily the safest idea but when you have 6oz of water and 3oz of NaOH it can be the cheapest option for starting (it was for me)

I ordered all the equipment and fragrance and such last night!! I'll be out buying oils and other things I can get locally tomorrow! I've been researching like crazy and I finally finally ordered stuff! I am SO EXCITED! People around me know I've been obsessed with this, but don't understand how excited I am... so I'm letting out my excitement here! :) I know you guys understand. ;-) Thank you thank you so much for all your help.

I ordered all the equipment and fragrance and such last night!! I'll be out buying oils and other things I can get locally tomorrow! I've been researching like crazy and I finally finally ordered stuff! I am SO EXCITED! People around me know I've been obsessed with this, but don't understand how excited I am... so I'm letting out my excitement here! :) I know you guys understand. ;-) Thank you thank you so much for all your help.

We do indeed understand! And every time I place an order for stuff, I feel that excitement all over again!

We get it! Post pics of your first batch, even if it doesn't turn out like you'd planned!

I will!! I just wrote out all the steps to make sure I have everything. I got all the "get local" stuff today. Just waiting for my non-Amazon shipment... and IT'S SHOW TIME! Kinda nervous lol. My hubby thinks I'm crazy. :D

Don't tell your husband, but the night before I made my first batch, I lay in bed and went through the steps in my head, over and over. "First I cover the counter with newspaper, stick the recipe to the cabinet door, lay out my utensils in the order I'll use them, measure out my oils..." I went through every step, over and over again, hoping that by the time I actually did it, it would seem second nature. The first time is always a little scary, no matter how well you prepare, but my batch turned out great, and I'm sure yours will too! :)

Latest posts

Back