Combining CP & HP Processes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay

Reaction score
I've made a few HP recipes so far and they have turned out well. I've been doing some reading on the CP process, and I like the ease of which it's able to pour into molds and do kweel things like swirls on top and different color combinations (You seem to have more time to do color combos etc with CP) So my question is this. Has anyone intentionally not cooked their soap (HP) until it's completely done? From what I'm understanding, I could cook it like HP for awhile, say 30 min. then take it out, add my colors etc and pour into molds, and it would finish cooking while in mold. I realize I would be working with a caustic lye at this point. I also realize it would take longer to cure than plain HP soap, but has anyone else done this intentionally? How did it work for you?

I have. When I do this I still let it cure for 5 weeks and zap tested and it was fine. I think the advantage would be that it does not go through the whole 8 week cure time.

I've read where one lady put her CP soap (in a wood mold, lined with freezer paper) in the oven at 200 degrees and warmed it that way for about 2 hours. She had good results. This would speed up the curing time also, would it not?

Yes it would speed up curing! It works great for me especially if you have events coming up and trying to plan for them! I have even mixed melt and pour and added it after my HP with good results. I have realized that when it comes to soaping you can mix and match processes and still create beautiful soaps! Remember in the end it is still soap whether it is a masterpiece or not, and any mistakes can usually be corrected with other processes! Have a go, !!:smile:

Thank you innerdiva! I was a little worried about what would happen to the freezer paper in the oven. But I'm thinking at such low temps it should be ok. Don't want any fires and I don't want the freezer paper lining melting into my soap!:shock:

My guess is that I used a form of Warm Process when I made shampoo bars this weekend. I soaped at a lower temperature (85 degrees), stirred and then stick-blended to a light trace, had the crockpot on low (even turning it off for 20 minutes), and cooked my soap for almost an hour. It turned out very similar to CP soap.

...and just to be clear: my intention was to cook the soap 3/4 done, and then let it finish in the traditional CP way.

This photo was taken after I unmoulded and cut it, 24 hours later.

shampoo soap first attempt-4.jpg

Last edited:
If you oven process, I would just keep checking to make sure everything is OK and leave on your oven light. WHen I HP , It is in a crock pot or on the stove at low flame. Just keep an eye on it!

Latest posts

Back