Column for column pour?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souljasam

Reaction score
What do you guys usually use for a column when you column pour? I was contemplating trying one, but cant seem to find anything that seems suitable. Maybe what you guys use could help me figure out a column from what i have on hand.

What do you have on hand?

I've seen people using blocks of wood for column swirls. I'd suggest covering the wood with freezer paper (shiny side out) or wax paper. I used a plastic container I got from work. I washed it really well, poured rice in it for weight and taped the lid onto the container. It worked fine except the swirls weren't even on all sides since the container was round. I still liked the effect.

Maybe you can try a small cardboard box. Put something in it to add weight and cover with freezer paper or wax paper.

Hmm. Well im shooting to do this in a log mold. I have pill bottles now that i think of it. Perhaps those would work. Other than that i have those big kids Legos. I dont think i have freezer paper. Would parchment paper work? If so i could probably cut some wood columns cuz i didnt even think about covering the column.

I didn't think of a pill container. That might work well since the cap attaches tightly. It just has to be tall enough for the top to be above the rim of the mold. Parchment paper would work but probably won't hold up well over time like freezer paper.

I don't know how well Legos would work because I remember those as being small. However, it's been years since I've seen Legos so maybe they're bigger now.

They are the toddler legos. Idr the name, but they are pretty big. Like a 4 peg piece is probably 1" deep, 1" wide, 3/4" tall or so. My biggest concern would be the air pocket at the bottom. Would it affect anything?

I don't know if the air pocket would be a problem since you could just hold the Lego tightly to the bottom. The soap would fill in as you pull it up. The concern I have is the height. How high is the sides of the log mold? I don't think the Lego would be tall enough unless you tape several together to make a column.

I think you're talking about Mega Blocks, I think they would work if you stacked them high enough. I'm wondering, could you use plastic wrap to wrap the column? It's used to cover soaps, and the lye doesn't eat through it (does it?!..I've never had it happen!) so that might be a good option, pretty easy to wrap around and then either just unwrap or it would wash pretty easy.

Great idea! Mega blocks! We have a ton of them and never thought of using them for a column pour! Yay! Thanks for the idea now I need to do some soap planning!

YOu can use anything as long as it can tolerate the caustic nature of the batter. I've used prescription bottles, a one or two ounce glass/plastic bottle an FO came in, a wooden block, etc... I fill the bottles with water so they don't float up.

Latest posts

Back