Colourants and sensitive skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overthemoon

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My immediate circle wants to encourage my new little soap addiction and I have been asked to try and make castile as my next batch. (HP castile, thank you). Anyway, the person who wants this has sensitive skin and I was concerned about adding any colourants, micas or oxides or herbs. I'm thinking I'd be better off not adding any colour but I would like to hear you opinions.

Thanks from the Great Wet North.

id be more worried aout fo than color, just my opinion. I have sensitive skin and not bothered by either, the only one i ever had an issue with is orange fo.

I'm using a small amount of lavender EO, a specific brand that she's never had issues with so I hope that won't cause any problems. I think as it is I probably won't colour. Green may not match lavender but I'd rather she be able to use and enjoy the soap.

I was antsy about using any FOs in a soap for her so I'm glad you've cooperated my concern.

I agree with no FO. Olive oil soap smells fine on its own. Sensitive skin is sensitive to many things. I don't even use EOs in the soaps I make for people who need soap to be problem-free. No colors, no fragrances, zip, just plain castille or castille-castor.

Castille is a beautiful soap.

She (roommate's gran) asked for lavender, so it has been scented with lavender. It's fixed up nicely and is curing as we speak. The colour is almost yellow green, very nice. Next batch I make will castile again, probably. I have a lot of olive oil and little to nothing of anything else. But lye of course.

I need another mold. All my bars are so boring and the same. Heh.

The soap set up so nicely. I think I'll make an unscented version for my pseudo niece and nephew.

If she's that sensitive I'd make a couple of smaller batches. One unscented, one scented and one scented and colored.
That way you hve an excuse to make different soaps (people will happily take them anyway), gain some more experience and make grandma clean & happy :wink:
If I were you I'd go to your local pharmacist; they usually carry castor. Really makes a lot of difference when used at 5-8%!

If your able to, don't forget to show us your pics!

I need to make/ claim some random house hold object as a test mold. Smaller batches would be such a better idea. I can soap more often but have less soap coming from the batch. Very good idea.

I did have castor oil, but am out now. I'm out of everything but olive oil and grapeseed. But I am going to Voyageur Soap Supplies tomorrow to stalk up on Coconut, Castor, Etc.

I suggest the very wonderful Pringles can for a mold. You can only use it once or maybe twice but it is cheap and easy to get the soap out.

Now I just need to find someone who eats Pringles. Shouldn't be too hard. I did go shopping today and got two new molds from Voyageur. Their both much smaller so I can make little batches. The castile worked out really well but now I'm going to try a combo with castor, olive, palm kernal, coconut and cocoa butter.

I don't like chips. Heh. My mother and father have high cholesterol, etc. And Pringles just aren't that great. To me. I'll bug people at work.

i'll eat the pringles.

I should be able to provide canisters enough for all of you.

Lol. Maybe I should just buy a container of Pringles and bring it to work. My colleagues will eat them up even if I don't offer them. Let's just say there are a lot of equal opportunity eaters at my work.

Crystal lite has a nice round container. I have been saving those to use as
molds. I drink lots of that! :wink:

That's a great idea. I've only ever bought the single serving packages but I drink enough Crystal Lite to make buying a proper container of it more than sensible.

Containers

How do you get soap out of the crystal lite tubes? I have several of those saved as that is what the hubby gets to drink once he's had his limit of caffinated coffee. Would you grease them with vaseline or mineral oil to get them to slip out nicely?
IDLaura

Re: Containers

GoatSoaperLaura said:
How do you get soap out of the crystal lite tubes? I have several of those saved as that is what the hubby gets to drink once he's had his limit of caffinated coffee. Would you grease them with vaseline or mineral oil to get them to slip out nicely?
IDLaura

I'm thinking that I will cut off the bottom with a single-edged razor blade,
then push the soap out. I don't think they are thick enough to use twice,
although I haven't tried yet. I'll let you know- It won't be until after the holidays.

Re: Containers

bombus said:
GoatSoaperLaura said:
IDLaura

I'm thinking that I will cut off the bottom with a single-edged razor blade,
then push the soap out. I don't think they are thick enough to use twice,
although I haven't tried yet. I'll let you know- It won't be until after the holidays.

I haven't tried the Crystal Lite tubes (wonderful idea!! I drink that stuff by the gallon and NEVER thought of using the container as a mold...brilliant!) but I did try Pringles cans and I lined them with a good layer of parchment paper (cut out a little circle to cover the bottom too) and left enough at the top to be able to pull it out. I had to do it carefully and slowly so the paper wouldn't rip but when it let loose it slid right out and the container is relatively untouched by the lye.

Latest posts

Back