coconut oil in salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra

Reaction score
After much trial and error, about 7 batches, I've come to the realization that I just cannot tolerate coconut oil. I've had plenty of friends use the offending batches and they've had no problems, but my skin dries out to the point of redness, burning and itching. My question is, is there another oil that I can use in a salt bar (spa bar) that will still provide lather? Everything I've read only mentions the evil coconut oil.

I have the same problem with coconut oil. Any recipe could be a salt bar, it won't have the bubble factor that co has .I made one with a very low % co and it has a very soft creamy lather , not many bubbles, but it feels awesome on my skin.

Kitn

I thought the soft & creamy lather was the purpose of a saltbar? Maybe ad some shea and castor, or even animal fat? Good luck with finding a nice combo.
Dagmar

The salt in a salt bar is what cuts the lather, that's why most salt bars are formulated with such a high percentage of coconut, so you get the salt and the lather.
Personally, I like my salt bars with 95% Co, 5 % Castor, and a 15% Superfat, you could even go to 20% that should counteract the drying effect you are describing.
I don't believe that coconut oil in itself is drying, if you get the right superfat it's lovely soap, even at 100%.

Latest posts

Back