Coconut Juice and Toasted Coconut Soap W/Pic's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abigtroutt

Reaction score
Well I did it. Real coconut juice with real toasted coconut.

First thing was getting the coconuts out of the shell.... :?

Then I drilled holes in the coconut to get the juice out.

Both coconuts together gave me 27 oz of juice

I then cracked open the coconuts

A little coconut lesson: After you get the juice out you crack open then place onto a cookie sheet. Cook the coconuts in a 350 deg oven for 20 minutes. Let cool then take a knife and score the inside of the coconut meat and pull out.

Then shread and toast in a 350 oven until coconut is golden brown....dont walk away or it will burn. you can also use the bagged coconut also.

I cheeted and used the bagged coconut because I was short on time and I also want to use the meat of the coconut to make coconut milk. PM me if you want to know how to do.

I then blended it up in my bullet....

I ground just like coffee..

Oil's ready....100 deg

Lye is ready....100 deg I mixed 8 oz of the coconut juice with the lye and kept it in ice to keep it from heating up...but it still changed colors....

When ready I added the rest of the coconut milk to the oils first then added the lye to keep the coconut juice cooler.

I then blended with my stick blender to trace. I added 2 oz of vanilla and the toasted coconut...It smells and looks awesome !!!!!!

Here it is in the molds......

After in the molds I placed in the fridge to keep it from heating up. I hope this doesn't cause any problems, but I wanted to keep the nice light color

You definitely have a knack for tutorials!
I think that soap is fabulous! Yummo! I have made coconut milk soap before but not with the shredded coconut in it. Do you have to toast it or can you just add dessiccated coconut straight out of the bag? That is a much finer shred than shredded.
I bet it smells great. Did putting it in the fridge stop if from going through gel? and last question....is your vanilla the discolouring type?

The soap came out great !!!!!

I kept it in the refridge all night so it did not go through the gel stage and the soap color came out perfect !!! I love it and it smells just like vanilla and toasted coconut. The vanilla sent is light and not to strong to over power the coconut.

ChrissyB said:
You definitely have a knack for tutorials!
I think that soap is fabulous! Yummo! I have made coconut milk soap before but not with the shredded coconut in it. Do you have to toast it or can you just add dessiccated coconut straight out of the bag? That is a much finer shred than shredded.
I bet it smells great. Did putting it in the fridge stop if from going through gel? and last question....is your vanilla the discolouring type?

The reasons I toasted it is to bring out the dark brown toasty goodness and also to get rid of extra moisture so it would not rot in the soap.

The vanilla was the non-discolouring type.

I agree - gorgeous soap! I bet it smells like a really fine coconut vanilla slice....yum!!! Cut pics are amazing; the toasting of the coconut seems like an excellent idea for the reasons you mentioned and you can SEE it so visually it looks terrific.

Tanya :)

Your soap is awesome. You read my mind. I just made some coconut milk soap and wondered if I could incorporate the meat. Never thought about toasting the coconut. Thanks! BTW, how do you get your bars to look so uniform? What do you cut them with? Others, please respond as well.

kellistarr said:
Your soap is awesome. You read my mind. I just made some coconut milk soap and wondered if I could incorporate the meat. Never thought about toasting the coconut. Thanks! BTW, how do you get your bars to look so uniform? What do you cut them with? Others, please respond as well.

I have a cheese cutter I use for soaps

I am sitting here reading this while eating a piece of lime coconut cake I made for our New Year's Eve dinner desert. Now I'm thinking I need to make this and put lime FO in it and hope it comes out smelling like the cake. What a great summer fragrance this would be. Thanks for the great tutorial, I need all the help I can get!

I found a recipe for lime and coconut soap that calls for powdered coconut milk, do ya think I could subsititute coconut creame with the same results?

Latest posts

Back