Clear M&P turns out cloudy??? What am I doing wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchad21ut

Reaction score
I have been making M&P for a couple months now with varying results. I have mainly been trying to master the transparent soap with embeds, and some turn out fantastic, but others turn out cloudy after I add the FO. Is it the type of FO that I am using? the temp that I am mixing it with? or the "ingredients" in certain FO's? I am completely baffled that some work great, but others leave that cloudy look to them. After a little while the edges will turn clear, but the middle never really does clear out..

Any suggestions? comments? I would greatly appreciate any information that you would be willing to lend!!!

Thank you all!!

Is the FO you are using crystal clear? That's the only type of FO I will use in my clear MP otherwise it will either cloud or color the soap.
I'm sure it's the FO. Also, sometimes heating it to too high of a temp will cause it to cloud upon cooling.

It is probably the fo. I only have a few scents I will use if I want them to be completely clear. For goldfish in a bag, you need a very clear fo & then i would still use onlt a very little bit of it.

hhmm, I guess Im am guilty on both parts. I had no idea the color of the FO would affect it so much, but I guess that makes sense. I guess I never really checked the color of the FO, i just dump it in out of the brown bottle! LOL
Also, I was thinking that it may be the temp of the soap before I added the FO. I was certain to stay below the flashpoint, but I probably could have let it cool a little more. the problem I find with that is after I add the FO my temps tend to drop so dramatically I figured it was probably ok..

back to the drawing board!!

Any fo contianing vanilla is going to turn your M&P muddy too. Even if it does not *say* vanilla, like strawberries & cream, rootbeer or most any cake or cookie type scent will contain vanilla as a sweetner.

Back