Clean out the fridge, yell at the moon, think about mama.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Big box of Shea butter, avocado oil, lard, lard and a little more lard, coconut, palm, babassu oil share the fridge with a gallon of milk and a few other things. All on one shelf. It's not as bad now that the boy hellion is pretending to be a hard studying college student. When he lived at home I think he existed on milk and mountain dew. Be that as it may, I decided to free up some space and make another batch of soap. It has been a while. Eezy peezy, right? HA!

Lining of the mold will NOT be discussed in this thread. That's a whole other story, complete with pictures. No, don't even try to tell me how easy it is and look here or there for this great video or outstanding pictures that make it so easy.

Day one -
Me - Where's my soap stuff?
MFFESSALWMOMC - In the garage somewhere.
Me - Why is it out there?
MFFESSALWMOMC - You haven't used it for a while and it was in the way. It's probably under something since everything was stacked to the back so the termite damage could be repaired before the new hurricane rated garage door required by the insurance company to avoid a $300 a year increase in homeowners policy could be installed.
Me - Thieves! Charlatans! Crooks! !!^&xx!!##@!(open to your imagination. Do your worst!)

Day 2
OK, everything is ready, no one was injured when the crap in the garage fell over and everything needed to make this batch was found. Hard to believe how much a motorcycle tank costs. Capacity is down, but at least there's not a hole in it. The police officer was quite understanding but did drive by several times during the day.
So, the scale is ready, chip away at the coconut oil, shea butter, palm oil, weigh it all up, dump in the olive oil, lard. Hmmm, something doesn't look right. What the devil... :confused:
Hey, the scale is set on ounces, not grams.
See the decimal?
No.
I gotta get some new glasses.
So, how much of what do we really have? I can use this, it's solid still and most of this one, I know it's lard, dump the rest. AARRRGGGGHH!!
Now, oil is done. Finally.
Color?
Maybe.
Hey, just a tiny smidgeon of brick red.
Maybe. Ok.
Dump. Stir, stir.
Not bad.

Day 3

Oh, smells great. Ya know, that smells just like my mama's hands. I remember when she would put Jergen's lotion on them. Nice. I miss her.

Here's a picture or two. I ended up leaving it piled on the kitchen counter for a while. The sharp edges have nothing to do with liner challenges. It is a purposeful rounded edge for the safety of the users. Sharp edges are a no no. Anyone with kids already knows this. :crazy:

There's another batch planned for today but that's already developed it's own little story and challenges.
Now I've taken up weaving to go along with soap making. This is getting crazy.

Last edited:
Yay! It looks beautiful! I love the color and it made me think I might just have some brick red colorant...somewhere. I need Nelly to come over and help me find it. Can she be here by Monday?

I hate to appear dense but what does 'MFFESSALWMOMC' mean?

I hate to appear dense but what does 'MFFESSALWMOMC' mean?

Is that Dennis's darling wife speaking.

btw - Welcome Back Dennis - where's ya been ? Missed your stories as well.

Love the red and white one - what scent did you put in it ?

Back